18. Opening more gates.

"What exactly what you all doing at the lake?" Officer Powell asked the group of teens sitting on the couch.

The group of four all looked over at each other. Mal looked back and fourth from her right, max, to her left, Dustin.

"Uh, it's comp-"

"We were... we were just going for a walk." Max cut Dustin off, trying to play it cool.

"A walk?" Powell asked them in disbelief, not believing them. "At 9:00p.m ?"

"To the lake." Dustin voice went high pitched and squeaky, letting them know he was lying.

"We were gonna..." Mal trailed off, her voice high pitched and squeaky too.

"Take a little swim." Dustin's squeaky voice finished for her.

Mal looked over at him and nodded, smiling. The two looked at each other, smiling.

"Take a little night swim." Both said at the same time.

"Dusty...someone was just murdered there." Dustin's mother sounded stressed.

"Yeah, we... we didn't realize that until we got there." Dustin chuckled nervously.

"That's why we didn't swim." Lucas told his parents.

"And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?" Mal's mom asked her and her daughters friends.

"No."

"Yes."

"Sorta."

Mal, max and Dustin all looked at each other with blank expressions.

"We're not sure." Lucas tried convincing them.

"She was there." Dustin's voice shook.

"And then she left." Mal's voice was still squeaky, it was always like that when she lied. "Yeah, yeah, Nance left."

"It's all a little confusing." Dustin whispered.

"And that's when you guys came." Lucas said, moving his hands around.

"Right. Then they dared me to say what I said." Max smiled, plying it off.

"Those two," Mal pointed at the boys. "I didn't dare her, I'm not that's stupid."

"Oh yeah." Lucas lightly laughed.

Dustin and Lucas turned around to each other and fake laughed, making Mal try to hide her laugh.

"You're lucky you didn't get shot." Mal's dad told the group of teens. Why would he tell them that?

"Oh-" The police officer cut Mal off, before she could say something to her father.

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?" Powell asked the teens, making them panic a bit.

"That psycho... freak killer?" Dustin asked, scrunching his face up.

"God, no." Mal shook her head quickly.

"Nope." Max answered.

"Absolutely not."

"We haven't heard from him."

"We barely know the guy." Mal said, feeing the wave of panic in her stomach. She acted like she was a good lair, but she was just as bad as Dustin. Who was horrible.

"Oh, that's a bunch of bull." Erica stepped up, causing her parents to scold her.

"I mean, you realize their lying. The whole couch is on fire."