twenty | the last laugh

Jerome was whistling as he practically pranced through the halls of the penthouse, only to stop when he heard the familiar sound of Annabelle screaming at someone

He silently stood there and tilted his head before he started to follow the sound of Annabelle's voice until he stopped just outside of Theo's office.

He didn't know what the cause of the argument was, nor did he care.

The only thing he cared about was seeing if he could find a way to piss her off, so that he could have a source of entertainment after James Gordon tried to kill him after he killed his father.

So naturally, he moved a bit closer to the door that was only open a couple of inches and listened, while Annabelle yelled, "I don't give a damn what you say, Galavan! I need to go and kill someone!"

Theo replied, "You'll be fine, Annabelle. I'm sure you could go one night without killing someone."

Jerome watched as Annabelle sped towards Theo and slammed him up against a wall in the office.

It wasn't long after she did that that he could hear Theo choking, which made him realize that Annabelle had a rather tight grip on Theo's neck.

While he tilted his head and started to wonder how this would play out, Annabelle asked Theo, "Oh, I'm sorry, have you had to deal with this constant thirst for blood that I've been dealing with for the past nine-hundred and eighty-eight years?" When she heard nothing but Theo trying to choke out coherent words, she said, "No? I didn't think so. So, don't you tell me what I could and could not go without. Do you understand me?"

Theo only stared down at her, which made her tilt her head to the side.

Then he quickly nodded his head, which got Annabelle to release his neck and silently watch as he hunched over and harshly coughed, while he repeatedly gasped for breath.

Annabelle patted the top of his head before she turned around and Jerome could see the small smile she had on her face as she walked towards the door he was standing in front of.

It was only when she was standing just in front of the door that she turned to look back at Theo and said, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and find some people to kill."

While still gasping for breath and rubbing his neck, Theo hoarsely said, "At least take someone with you. I can't risk you going rogue and killing whoever you want and then ditching us."

Jerome watched as Annabelle's hands had clenched into fists, while she said to Theo, "If you think I'm going to be taking that bitch of a sister of yours with me—"

Theo shook his head as he said, "Not her."

Annabelle tilted her head as she slowly uncurled her hands from fists and asked him, "If not her, then who?"

Theo replied, "Why don't you take Jerome with you? I have no doubt that he's already returned from killing his father, so why not take him with you?"

Annabelle scoffed as she asked him, "Have you gone mad? What part of 'I loathe Jerome with my entire being' are you not understanding?"