twenty four | a bitter pill to swallow

Annabelle was pacing in a new hideout she made for herself ever since her return to Gotham as she muttered words under her breath and ignored Victor Zsasz, who was seated in a chair with his arms crossed over his chest, while he repeatedly tried t...

Annabelle was pacing in a new hideout she made for herself ever since her return to Gotham as she muttered words under her breath and ignored Victor Zsasz, who was seated in a chair with his arms crossed over his chest, while he repeatedly tried to get her attention.

She was worried that something had happened to Oswald, due to the fact that she hadn't heard from him since the evening before Theo's victory celebration.

He told her that he'd contact her as soon as the deed was finished, but she heard nothing from him since he told her the time in which he would leave in his attempt to murder Theo.

She didn't know why she was suddenly hearing absolutely nothing from him, which made her assume that he was, in fact, dead and that his plan had ultimately failed.

The more and more she thought of the possibilities that could have occurred to prevent him from contacting her, the faster she paced.

While she was consumed with her own thoughts about what could have happened to Oswald, Victor stood from his chair and walked towards her.

It was only when he was standing just behind her that he grabbed her arms and ceased her movements.

While she started to fight against Victor, who was struggling to keep her still, he said to her, "You need to relax, Annabelle. If Penguin was dead, they would've had it in the news or in a newspaper by now. He's probably laying low right now, trying to think of another attempt of how he could get back at Galavan. You have nothing to worry about."

While she slowly started to calm herself down, Annabelle scoffed before she replied, "I have nothing to worry about? Without Oswald, there's no plan of getting back at Galavan for all he's done since his arrival in Gotham. The way he had his sister capture me and force me to return to Gotham, the Arkham breakout, the kidnapping and murder of Gertrud Kapelput, the way he threatened to have his sister kill—"

Annabelle hesitated for a moment, which made Victor tilt his head as he narrowed his eyes at her.

He found it odd that she refused to tell him the name of the man she was desperate to protect, due to the fact that she never withheld something from him before.

No matter if she initially wanted to tell him something, she always did, so he couldn't help but wonder why she was so desperate to keep the identity of the man she cared about to herself.

After trying to think of who it could possibly be, he turned her around to face him and asked as he looked between her eyes, "Who is he threatening to have his sister kill?"

Annabelle shook her head as she said, "It doesn't matter. Nothing matters now. I can't ensure his safety, now that Oswald hasn't been seen since his attempt to kill Galavan. Now I have to do as Galavan says, until he releases me from whatever other tasks he needs me to do. I have to see his plan through, while he continues holding the threat over my head and his sister reminds me of it at every single chance she gets."