twenty three | mommy's little monster

Ever since Theo had told her he didn't need her any longer but still expected her to return whenever he saw fit, Annabelle had been staying inside of one of her old hideouts

An old hideout that she made for herself during her first year in Gotham.

One that she hadn't used in seven years, but only because of the fact that the members of the GCPD weren't too aware of her as of yet.

And that was only because Carmine hadn't used her as much as he did after her choice of deserting her very first hideout.

After deserting her first one, she made several that were scattered across the city.

There were even some that were inside of the Narrows.

The only ones that knew of the locations of the hideouts were members of the Falcone crime family, which made it evident that Oswald Cobblepot and Butch Gilzean would be aware of them.

Even Victor Zsasz was aware of it, but she hadn't ever gotten a visit from him in any of her hideouts, so it came as a surprise to her when she heard him say while he walked towards her from the entrance of the hideout, "I should've known you'd hide out here. It should've been the first place I looked, but I completely forgot about this place."

Annabelle quickly looked up at Victor before she looked back down at the wooden floor, while she asked him, "What are you doing here?"

As he sat down beside her, Victor told her, "What I'm doing here is checking in on you. Nobody has seen or heard from you in a while, so I had to make sure that those cops hadn't taken you in."

Annabelle scoffed as she said, "As if they would be able to do that. I would be taking down several of them, if it ever came to that."

Victor shrugged as he replied, "Well, you never know. I mean, one of them had actually managed to take a shot at me. Things change, Annabelle."

Annabelle sighed as she said, "Yeah, I know. Things do change, and I don't like that they change."

Victor chuckled as he said to her, "You'd think that after being alive for almost a thousand and twenty years you'd be used to change by now."

Annabelle replied, "Yes, well, a lot of my life as a vampire, I'd either spent it running from my father or being daggered by my siblings. I never really had a chance to get used to change."

Victor said to her, "Well, maybe I can help change that."

As she turned to look at him, Annabelle asked, "Oh, yeah? And how do you plan on doing that?"

Victor said to her, "Come back and work with me."

With a shake of her head, Annabelle said, "And do whatever it is Oswald wants? No, thanks. I'll pass."

Victor replied, "Why not? I mean, you're good at taking orders from people, especially from whoever it is that got you to come back here."

Annabelle told him, "In case you've forgotten, Victor, I don't have a choice in the matter. If I don't do as I'm told, the man I care for most will be killed. I can't risk allowing that to happen. I've—"