twenty six | worse than a crime

After eyeing Oswald and Edward as they sang Oswald's childhood lullaby, Victor glanced over at Annabelle, who had a blank look on her face, before he looked back at them and asked her, "How often do they do this?"

Annabelle looked over at Victor before she replied, "A lot more often than you would think."

Victor scoffed as he said, "Seriously?"

Annabelle opened her mouth to respond, only to stop when she heard movement coming from the bed Gabriel had put James on.

Both Annabelle and Victor turned to look at the bed and saw James sitting on the edge of the bed and eyeing them, along with eyeing Oswald and Edward, who were just finishing their singing.

It was only when Edward and Oswald started to laugh that James said, "What the hell?"

Edward and Oswald quickly looked over at James and saw that he was now awake before Oswald quickly limped over to James with a grin on his face as he said, "At last. How are you feeling?"

James replied, "Not so good." Then he looked past Oswald and at Edward before he said, "Nygma?"

Edward leaned further back, which allowed himself to be seen even more by James before he said with a smile on his face, "Hi!"

James looked over at Annabelle and Victor and eyed them once more, which got Oswald to say to him, "Oh, you don't have to worry about them. Annabelle came here because apparently, I was talking about her in my sleep, and then Ed called her to come here."

James replied, "That doesn't really explain why Zsasz is here."

Oswald told him, "Oh, well, Victor is here because apparently some of Galavan's men tried to kill him, so Annabelle decided to bring him here herself."

James looked over at Annabelle with furrowed eyebrows as he started to wonder why she went out of her way to bring Victor Zsasz to safety before he looked back at Edward.

Oswald chuckled as he said, "Ed, however, is a long story. He's a friend."

James eyed Oswald with furrowed eyebrows as he said, "A friend?"

Oswald replied, "You're welcome, by the way. No thanks needed, saving your life and all."

James said to him, "Yeah. Thanks, I guess."

As he leaned forward in order to be at eye-level with James, Oswald said, "No, really. What are friends for?" After straightening his back, he said, "You got beat pretty bad. That Galavan is a pistol, isn't he?"

Annabelle scoffed as she said, "That's a nice way of saying it. Although, if I were you, I'd use a bit more harsh words to say about him."

James glanced over at Annabelle and saw that she was watching him before he looked around the room and moved to stand up from the bed, while he said, "Yeah, he is."