Ch. 61

Cali's POV

" You sure you can't tell us why she wanna meet us?" My momma asked trying to get me to tell them why they're here.

" Nope, you'll see."

" Mrs. Lawson is ready to see you guys now. You guys can go in." Her assistant said to us causing all of us to stand up.

We walked into Mrs. V's office.

" Hey, Mrs. V. This is my mom Erica and my dad Omari. Y'all this is my therapist." I said introducing them.

" Hello, I'm Veronica Lawson nice to finally meet you all. Sit down make yourselves comfortable." She said as she shook my parents hand before we took a seat on the couch.

" Nice to meet you as well." My parents said back.

" I'm sure you both are wondering as to why you're here. Caliana do you wanna do the honors?"

" Umm, at my last session Mrs. V thought it would be a good idea to write a letter to y'all expressing my feelings to y'all."

" So, you finna read it to us?" My momma asked.

" Yeah, I guess so." I said as I pulled the letter out of my purse.

" Ok, well go ahead. You got our undivided attention amira." My dad said as he looked at me.

I started to unfolded the paper as my hands shook. I looked down at the words on the paper, and started biting the inside of my lip.

" Ummm, ion think I can do this. Can you just read it to em, and I'll step out the room until you're finished?" I asked as I looked up at Mrs. V.

" I could, but it'll make them understand more if they hear it coming from you. Just take a deep breath, and we can take pauses here and there, if you get too overwhelmed." She said reassuring me.

" Baby, talk to us. Say whatever you need to say.It's ok." My momma smiled.

I took a deep breath as I sighed before I began to read the letter.

" Dear momma and baba, I understand you both worked hard to be able to provide a great life for me, but I wish y'all would've spent more time with me as a kid. I felt like I wasn't a priority to y'all. I felt like y'all careers came before me. There were times when I wanted to talk to y'all about things, but every time I tried something work related came up. When I was 8, it was " Eat lunch with parents day". Y'all said y'all were coming. I had even asked again the night before just to make sure, and you both said yes. I was the only kid at lunch without a fucking parent. I was the only black kid at that private school, so I didn't have any friends. I had lunch by myself. Do you know how it feels to always be let down when it came to y'all showing up fa me? Dat's why I quit gymnastics. Cause I can count on one hand how many times y'all been y'all been to my competitions, and I was in over 20 competitions. Y'all missed birthday's, holidays, honors assemblies, and booku of other things." I said as tears fell down my face, but my dad quickly wiped them.

My momma was now crying too as she had her hand over heart chest, " I swear we had no clue you were feeling like this. You could've told us. W—We've made adjustments to our work schedules."

" I just got one question for the both of you. What was so important at work dat it kept y'all from being there fa me?"

" There was nothing more important than you. We just assumed you was ok with us working as much as we did, cause you always begged us to go by Toya nem to be with Treyun. We didn't know baby." My momma said.

" There's no excuse. Had that been A'Kyrie, me and Key gone reschedule, cancel, postpone, or do whatever we need to do to make sure we're there for him. If there's ever a point to where I have to choose between my child or my career, then I'ma give up my career with no hesitation. Cause he comes before anything."