Oscars preparation S.J

Your POV
Scarlett wasn't going to the 94th Academy Awards this year but I was asked to be the presenter for this year's Best Actor for the Supporting role since I won the previous.

I didn't think there were so many things going behind in the making of Oscars when my manager goes through with me the flow of events. Days before the rehearsal, the event staff sent me a draft speech that I can say before announcing the nominees. After reading through, I decided to change it a little so it's a little more authentic.

I went through the speech with Scarlett and she gave her input and suggested some words when I was stuck.

I had to email them back the speech that I was going to say so they could put it in the prompter but mainly also to check if I was going to say anything they deemed inappropriate.

The next few days passed by in a flash, they got back to me very quickly and I repeated what I was going to say through zoom before they went through the flow of events that was going to happen in the rehearsal.

After that, my manager gave me a bunch of paper such as the ticket for entry, parking ticket, some for the rehearsal and some for the actual event. Scarlett got a mobile ticket since she was going as my plus one.

"Alright, I'm going. Have fun choosing your outfit!" I was going to the presenter's party but sadly Scarlett wasn't invited, she would have made the party a lot more interesting to be in. I got into the car that they sent and it looked fancy with all the blue interior light there was.

I shot Scarlett a quick text as we were making our way.

Scarlett

Not sure what time I'm going to be back.
No need to wait up.

Don't drink too much.
You don't want to be hangover tomorrow

Got it, mum...
Love you

It was a stand up party so there was a lot of mingling around and drinking some fancy looking cocktails that I've never seen before. I managed to talk to Jennifer Garner and Elliot Page. One thing though was that the oysters they served were so fresh but I didn't dare to go back for thirds.

The music was getting really loud and I was feeling a little tipsy so I told the event manager that I was heading back. The chauffeur arrived and drove me back to our house where Scarlett was already home.

"You came back earlier than I thought." Scarlett turned from the couch when she heard the keys turning. Looking at her, I realised I was more relaxed with her. My mind stopped racing and I dropped my guard.

"Are you okay? Are you drunk? You weren't replying to what I said." She snapped out of my thoughts and was standing in front of me.

I smiled and hugged her. "You look so beautiful."

"Are you sure? I'm just wearing my PJs"

"You look beautiful no matter what you wear."

"You are definitely drunk. Let's get you to bed."

---

On the day of the rehearsal, they did everything as they would do live. Except the winner's name. They randomly picked a name from the nominees and told me to speak and a stand-in would act as the award winner coming up the stage and I would present them with the award.

After I was done, they brought me to the recording studio where I had to record myself saying the nominee names and the show they were nominated for.

Overall it wasn't too bad and the next day was the actual event. I have yet to see what Scarlett had chosen as her outfit for the event. I tried peeking or asking but she wouldn't let me see or know anything about it. My team was going to show a few clothes for me to choose and I would like to match with Scarlett. She was going to walk the red carpet with me.

"Scarlett!!" I called out. "Do you want to help me choose my outfit?" I pouted and pulled my baby eyes. "I want to match with you."

"Hmm..." She scrolled through the pictures and lingered longer on some and glanced really quickly overall. I think she already had some idea in mind and was checking to see if any that fits the criteria.

"This one." She said assertively pointing at the full black suit. I was kinda surprised that she chose this since she usually hated that I wore dark colours.

"Alright. I'll tell the team to bring it tomorrow. Do you have a makeup artist for tomorrow? Do you want to borrow mine or do your own makeup?"

"I'll do my own makeup but I'll borrow your hair stylist." I nodded, relaying the information to my team.

I went through the script over and over again making sure I had it ingrained in my mind. Making a fool of myself on TV would be embarrassing and the last thing I want to do.

"Stop stressing about it. You'll do fine. The worst that's going to happen is you winging it and it wouldn't even be that bad."

---

The next morning, the day started early with me sitting in front of the mirror in the bathroom for makeup as Scarlett uses the one in our room. In the invite, it stated to reach by 4pm but my manager said it was better to be there by 2.30pm for the red carpet as more interviewers would be there.

Makeup and hairstyling alone took 2 hours before I finally put on the suit that Scarlett chose. 2 hours in the bathroom and I still have no idea what Scarlett looked like. Some of my team stepped out to collect things such as coffee but they refused to speak anything of it when I asked. This is not even my wedding, why am I not allowed to look at her?

"Looking great Y/N. Is everything alright? Do you need me to adjust anything?" My stylist asked as I looked at the mirror.

"Nope, everything's great. Thank you. Can you ask Scarlett if I can go out now?"

"Not so eager to see her anymore?"

"I would rather not piss the Queen off."

She gave me the go ahead and finally stepped out of the bathroom after two and half hours. She wasn't in the room so I went down and finally saw her in the white suit. (the one she wore to the cinematheque award)

"Black and white. Is that your idea?"

"Simple is the best idea." She gave a one liner before my attention was taken away by my stylist as she gave me a pair of heels. Another person came and gave me a clutch that I was supposed to hold for the red carpet. Nothing was contained in it. I was supposed to just hold it.

"Let's not be late for the red carpet dear." Scarlett called from the door and I quickly wore my heels and got in the car.

The journey there included a lot of checks. The road was closed yesterday when I went for the rehearsal but it's open today. Lots of SUVs were queuing up to go in. The first check consisted of making sure we were invited and everyone had their invitation or tickets. Once checked, they use a white marker to write a 'C' at the top of the windshield so others know it was checked.

"Please wind down the window and pop the trunk." It was time for the security check and there was even a mirror to check the bottom of the car.

"Look Scarlett." I nudged her slightly and pointed outside the window where we would see some fans waving their hands. We waved back and smiled before moving forward again.

Soon, we arrived at the front of the event and I looked at Scarlett. "Ready to rock the red carpet?"

Written on 28 Jun 2022
Posted on 27 Sept 2022

Inspired by the Korean variety show, Youn's Unexpected Journey where a part of it showed the process of the Oscars and I was very fascinated by it hence this one shot :)