Proposal Prank N.R

Your POV
Nat and I finally had a break and we were in Italy having our holiday. The rare peace and quiet we have here as compared to the usual noise and chaos back in the compound were very apparent. The majority of the day was spent on the bed cuddling with Nat, with no one distracting us, barging in or asking us to train. We were free to watch as many movies as we liked and munch on snacks to our satisfaction. We would try the snacks that could only be found in Italy, and while most of them were a miss, there were some that we wished could be bought in New York as well.

"Babe, should we get ready for our dinner date?" Nat asked as we were still lying in bed after having done some sightseeing. While it wasn't our first time setting foot in Italy, it was our first time being tourists. Today was our last day and we intended for it to be the best day before leaving. We had asked around the locals which restaurant do they think is the best and finally settled on one as Nat booked a table for tonight.

"I'm having a really nice time here, I don't want to leave." I whined, hugging Nat tighter.

"I know, baby. But we booked the table and you would go hungry without food in your tummy." Nat said as she rubbed my stomach, emphasising her point. I sighed nodding my head before pulling away to change into the dress that Nat had bought for me during this trip.

I chose a converse to match the blue dress I was wearing since it was a trend these days and it is definitely more comfortable. The restaurant thankfully was just a short walk from our hotel so we were planning to walk there.

"Are you ready, baby?" Nat asked as she wore a necklace. She still had her usual arrow necklace around her neck along with the necklace I gave her when we proposed. Of course, I gave her a ring, but I decided to give her a necklace to celebrate the occasion and it was easier to maintain when she is on a mission.

We linked our arms as we walked towards the restaurant. Just a quick glance at the city, there are many couples walking along the same street. After all, Italy is such a romantic destination and many would choose this place as one of the countries to visit with their loved ones.

I tugged at Nat's arm slightly as we reached the restaurant, turning around she pulled her eyebrow closer. I whispered my plans into her ears and she smirked before nodding her head. It seems like I have been influenced by Sam.

"Reservation under Romanoff." Nat stated before the waiter showed us to our seats. We ordered our food before the waiter kept the menus. Natasha ordered red wine for the occasion and even ordered the whole bottle. I told her it was too much as we wouldn't be able to finish it without being drunk but she said it adds to the atmosphere.

Natasha noticed that I kept eying her food and offered her plate to me. Sheepishly, we traded plates to try each other's food and were extremely satisfied. We should have tried this place on the first day instead of waiting until the last day to try it.

"Stop pouting, baby. We'll come here again okay." I nodded my head. I slipped off my wedding ring and passed it to Nat as she kept hers in her pocket. "You ready?" I nodded my head and composed myself.

Nat stood up from her seat and got down on one knee as she held the ring between us. Immediately, I noticed everyone was looking at us. Even though it wasn't a busy restaurant, it was still quite a sizable number of people. Some even stopped where they were heading to look at us.

"Baby, these seven years with you have been amazing. Waking up next to you and thinking about you everyday. I want to be next to you through all the ups and downs, highs and lows. You make me happy even with the smallest of efforts and contribute so much for us. This is the last thing you have to do and I will lead the rest of the way. Marry me?"

Even though Nat has done this before, it was still very hard for me to control my tears and prevent them from spilling. It was the same exact words she said when she proposed. I steeled myself before looking fiercely at Nat. I told myself it had to look real before slapping Nat across her face. A synchronised gasp was heard in the room once the sound vibrated across the room. Nat was left kneeling as I stormed out the restaurant and waited for her at the nearest river.

"I sure didn't expect that slap, baby." Nat's face appeared beside me as she hugged me from behind and kissed my cheek.

"I'm sorry." Nat came round and sat next to me on the bench. "Did it hurt?" I cupped her cheeks and frowned when I saw one side was redder than the other.

"I'm fine, baby. I'm sure the audience has some interesting story to tell to their friends later. I even gave a bigger tip, it's almost like we're paying them to watch us." Nat said as she took my hands in hers.

I shook my head. "I shouldn't have done it regardless. A walk out was already bad enough, the slap took it a step too far."

"It's alright. At least you didn't do it when I actually proposed." Nat shrugged it off.

"I would never do that. I couldn't imagine my life without you. I don't even know what I was thinking when I suggested it." I buried my face into Nat's shoulders feeling my tears threatening to slip. I felt my heart beating faster as I felt like I betrayed her.

"It's okay baby, it's okay." Natasha tried to soothe me as I sobbed. "It's such a beautiful day and you look so pretty today, so let's try not to cry alright?" She pulled away and wiped my tears with her thumb. "Come on, let's go. There's an ice cream shop near here, shall we go?"

I nodded shakily. "Slap me if I ever say no."

"Never gonna happen baby."

Written on 11 Nov 2022
Posted on 29 Dec 2022