It's Not You S.J

Scarlett POV
As Y/N ages, she has started noticing her surroundings more often. She began pointing out those words she knew such as cat, dogs, house, clouds and many more. Now, she's at the age where she can speak somewhat coherent sentences.

I've been showing her some of my animated movies, which isn't a lot. I figured she loves other Disney movies such as Rapunzel and Beauty and the Beast, it would be quite entertaining to watch Sing and Sing 2. It'll give me some time to clean and tidy the house while she watches. Sadly, the child doesn't have a long attention span and whenever the characters are talking instead of singing, she'll be finding me. Seemingly more interested in what I'm doing than the movie.

"Mummy... watch with me please..." Y/N whined as she tried pulling on my arm to the couch. No matter how hard the pull and push, her body leaning at a 45 degree angle, she wasn't able to move me from my spot.

"Mummy has work to do." I tried reasoning with her. "Sweetie, you can watch it by yourself right?"

"But I wanna watch with you." Y/N pouted as she took my hands and swung it side to side. I sighed, the housework can wait right? Time isn't going to stop and in a blink of an eye Y/N would grow up and soon enough, she wouldn't want to spend as much time with me anymore.

"Alright. Let's watch it together with mummy." I picked her up and carried her back to the couch. Taking a moment to see which scene we were currently at, I realised we were getting to the climax. Since Y/N was just a kid, I didn't bother rewinding, I don't think she'll remember much anyway.

It was coming to the part where all the characters went up to sing their piece and it contains the most energy. Y/N was unable to sit still and was swinging to the song. Her butt would always be the most prominent movement.

"Mummy! Dance with me!" She pulled me up from the couch and made me dance with her. When it came to those slow songs, she swayed gently. It's amazing how she knew the change in tempo and moved accordingly. But of course I was biased towards my character when it came to her dancing. The way she shook her head like a rock star performing in front of thousands of audience was so cute. I wanted to take my phone to record this moment but by the time I thought of it, it was close to the end of the song.

I watched as she was done performing and plopped down at the couch with a puff. "Did you know that the porcupine is mummy?" I brushed the hair that was stuck to her forehead.

"Noo, that's not you." She looked at me like I was crazy.

"That's me! That's my voice. Don't you think that sounds like Mummy?"

"Noo, Pokey is just someone that sounds like Mummy. That's not you." She insisted. I chuckled a little at the nickname she has for Ash since she doesn't quite know that animal yet.

I realised I never introduced what I work to Y/N so she may not understand the concept. "Do you know what mummy work as?"

"Mummy doesn't work. Mummy goes out to meet her friends and comes back at night." She stated it like a matter of fact.

"Well, that is the half truth. Mummy meets her friends at her work. Mummy has to work in order to buy you all the toys right? Like Mr Bunny and Mr Rawr." I tried explaining it to her. "How about you join me for work next time? You can meet my friends and see how Mummy work."

"I meet Mummy's friends?"

"That's right. What do you think?"

"Yayyyy!!!" All of the sudden, her energy came back and she started running around the table. "Can Mr Bunny go?" She suddenly picked it up from her toy box and asked. I nodded, seeing no problem with it. "Yes! This is going to be so good." She cheered.

Seeing her so happy made my day and I knew that leaving the work behind to watch movies with her was the right decision. "Alright come on, there's one more movie. Would you like to watch it with Mummy?" I scooped her up when she ran across me, putting her on my lap. She nodded her head and bounced a little as I started up the next movie.

Written on 5 Dec 2022
Posted on 8 Jan 2023

Sooo... school starts tomorrow and I am absolutely not ready for it.