Weird Relationship S.J

I know this is not the custom for Americans but imagine they are all staying under one roof.

Scarlett watched as her mother moved around the house collecting some of your items for you. You had just gotten into an argument with Scarlett and she kicked you out of the house. This wasn't the first time, but you also knew that the argument wasn't big enough to cause a huge problem.

Melanie was packing it all in a bag as Scarlett sat there and drank her wine. "Y/N or me?" She glared at her mother.

"What did you say?" She acted blur as she zipped the bag and headed towards the door.

"I asked you. Who will you live with if Y/N and I broke up?"

Melanie sheepishly turned around and looked at her daughter endearingly. "Y/N. Only because you are a strong woman and Y/N can't survive alone outside." She quickly added at the end before rushing out of the house to meet you.

Scarlett couldn't believe her ears. "Aren't I your daughter?" She shouted in order for Melanie to hear her outside the door. "It's like I'm the daughter-in-law." She spoke to herself before taking another sip of wine.

"Melanie!" You waved at her like a dog, letting her know where you were. "How was it?" You asked her eagerly as you clutched your bag close to you.

"You're going to get killed if you walk in the house. I feel like she's going to kill me the moment I walk back in. Lucky for Karsten, he's overseas." She shook her head at what's happening. "I'm about to get kicked out too because of you."

You pouted and gave her the puppy eyes and a few pokes.

---

There was another time when you were in a scuffle with a group of people and Melanie was getting pushed further and further away from you.

"Maybe I should stop being a Lawyer." You sighed as you sat on the steps outside the building with Melanie.

"I wouldn't stop you." She was also looking tired after all the pushing, clothes no longer sharp as when she arrived.

A ringtone from your pocket pulled you out from the daze and you realised that it was Scarlett calling. Hurriedly, you passed the phone to Melaine, begging her to answer the phone on your behalf. But she was afraid of her daughter as well and both of you know that missing Scarlett's call was worse than death itself. To help you face this issue, she clicked on the green button and passed it back to you.

You stared at Melaine in shock for betraying you before pulling the phone closer to your ears. 

"Prepare my divorce paper for me. I'll pay you well." Scarlett said over the phone.

"Come on Scarlett..., don't joke like that. That hurt." 

"Do you want to see how hurt I am? My heart is tattered because of you." She raised her voice. "Bring the document tonight. I cannot live with you any longer."

"Fine, let's do it. Let's get divorced. Fine." You said through the phone and Scarlett couldn't believe what she heard. Even Melaine asked if you were insane for agreeing with her. "If we do, I'm living with Melaine, and that's that."

"What?"

"I can break up with you, but not with her." You held Melanie's hand and explained to Scarlett why she had to stay with you when you got divorced. You tried to involve her mother but she pulled away not wanting to be dragged into the fight.

"Do you want to die? Do you think I'll be scared and back down if you see my mom as a shield?"

Deep down, you know that Scarlett would never do that. She was the one who supported you through everything. Even when she first started working as an actress, she was the one who saved up her money for you to get through law school. You had failed the entrance exam of the law school you wanted to enter and decided that law wasn't the one for you. You had tried to break up with Scarlett then but she insisted that she can take care of you.

"Go to law school. I'll take care of you." 

"I don't want to spend the money my girlfriend worked hard to make." 

"If you don't want your girlfriend's money... let's get married."

"What?" 

"Let's get married!" You thought she was crazy there and then and decided to walk away. "You won't find a better woman than me. I'll take care of you!" She started to chase after you despite her shorter legs. 

Written on 21 May 2023
Posted on 3 Oct 2023

Inspired by Big Mouth (Korean Drama).