Best Buddy S.J

Scarlett POV
From the door of Y/N's bedroom, I could tell how devastated she was. Her knees were close to her chest as she pressed her lips together trying to hold back her tears.

Y/N's dog had just passed away, and although she saw it coming as his health was deteriorating and the regular visits to the vet, it didn't help in preparing her heart for the sorrow it was experiencing.

Graham, her dog, had been having diabetes, kidney problems and his vision was getting blurry. He was a lot more tired and less energetic as the days went by. The usual one hour walk would get reduced to half an hour or sometimes not at all as he hardly had the energy to get up from where he was laying.

After much consideration, Y/N and I made a painful decision to schedule his goodbye. It wasn't easy for Y/N as she cried a lot that day. She wasn't ready to say goodbye to her baby just yet.

But, just like his mother, he never does what he was told. He decided he didn't want any needles or poking and laid by their front porch with the sun on his fur and drifted away.

Y/N and I were shattered. Graham was her dog for 14 years. He was a part of Y/N's life before I even met her. Graham was always a cuddly dog, needing to be in our personal space, sitting on our laps even though he was obviously way too big to do so, kissing and licking our faces. He always loved his belly rubs. Sometimes, he would sleep in our bed and follow us around the house.

Y/N always joked that Graham had claimed me instantly and were best buds. It was like I was his favourite, whenever he wanted to play, he would bring his toys to my feet and nudged me before running to his play area.

We were buddies but Graham was ultimately HER dog. When he started to have health problems or any time he didn't feel his best, he cemented himself on her and only wanted her cuddles no matter how I tried to cheer him with his favourite toy. Playing, something he has been doing less and less of.

That morning he left us, he was burrowed in her arms so tight and didn't want to allow Y/N to get out of bed with him. Y/N and I realised now he was saying goodbye.

I miss him terribly, more so Y/N. Graham gave us so much and left such a massive hole in our hearts and lives. We're only hoping he can play as much as he wants where he is now. He's such a special baby and I was grateful to be a part of his life.

I quietly made my way to her and placed her head on my shoulder. Slowly, she uncurled herself and wrapped around me, snuggling her face in the nook of my neck. Shortly later, I felt my shirt getting wet and I rubbed her back gently. "It's okay, he's in a better place now." Her cries turned into a messier sob and I held her tighter hoping she found safety in my arms.

Written on 2 Sept 2022
Posted on 3 Nov 2022

I had to change the POV twice so I'm sorry if there were inconsistencies that made it hard to read. I should have proofread this but I tend to read really quickly and skip words so I might have missed them. Sorry.