Sister N.R

You wanted to surprise and comfort Nat for her upcoming colonoscopy exam and decided to do something drastic. You took Riley with you when you did it, and she was less than happy to participate in it. She was fussing all the way, even as the hairdresser was trying her best. Riley sat on your lap with your Ipad on the counter, hoping that she would be distracted, but she made it very clear that nobody was to touch her hair.

"No! I don't want to cut my hair!" She screamed at the end of the sentence, and you had to turn your head away.

"Riley! Your hair is getting too long! And it's just going to be a small cut. Mama will love it!" You tried to persuade her, knowing she liked her hair long like her mama. Ever since Riley was born, things started to get hectic between working and taking care of a kid, and there was less time for Natasha to get a haircut.

"No!!!" She continued to scream and kick her leg, refusing to let the hairdresser come closer to her at all.

"Okay okay. No haircuts for you. I guess Mommy will be the only one changing her hair today." You gave a kind smile towards the retreating stylist and finally, relieved that the shop is back to its peace and tranquillity again.

It was taking a while so Riley ended up sleeping on your lap. Even when you had to change stations, you carried her with you afraid that she may wake up halfway in an unfamiliar place for her.

When the stylist was finishing up the last bits of the haircut, Riley started to stir awake. "Mama?"

You took her hands away before she could rub her eye. "No baby, it's mummy." She gave a large stretch before flopping back on your chest again.

"When are we going back? I miss mama..."

"Soon, baby. But even if we were to head back now, mama isn't home. She is working, remember?" She made a sad noise before asking to be let down. You did so because you were about to be done. The hairdresser was showing you the results of the haircut, and you found it satisfactory before following her to the cashier for payment, where Riley was impatiently for you.

"All done, let's go." You gestured for Riley to take your hand, but she stared at you with a side eye that rivals Natasha's. At least you knew where she got her genes from. With a sigh, you said. "Alright... let's go get the nugget I promised." Finally, she let out a giggle before taking your hand and heading towards the nearest Mcdonald's.

After the promised treat, both of you were finally back at home, where Riley was taking her nap, and you went to get ready for the surprise for Natasha. It wasn't long before Natasha came back from SHIELD and shouted for her loved ones.

"Mama!" Riley was the first one to run towards her, and you often wonder why she prefers Nat over you when you were the one carrying her for nine months.

"Hi baby, I missed you so much." Nat continued to pepper kisses all over her face as Riley giggled and tried to dodge all of them. "Where's Mummy?" Nat asked when you have yet to welcome her back from work.

"I don't know." She shrugged. "She has been weird all day."

"Weird? What happened? Is Mummy sick? What did you guys do today?" Lots of thoughts surrounded her. Why haven't you called her when you were feeling sick? How are you feeling now? Does she need to bring you to the hospital?

"No, we are all alright. No one is sick or anything." Finally, you entered the living room and reassured Nat, knowing she was about to spiral into negative thoughts.

"Why are you wearing a beanie?" Nat immediately noticed the change in your style furthermore, you were wearing them indoors. "Did you cut your hair?" She knew your hair was below your shoulders when she left in the morning.

"Yeah, I did. I tried bringing Riley to have a haircut too, but she was adamant on not cutting, so we'll try again another time."

"No, we're not." Riley stomped her foot on the floor before climbing onto the couch.

"Did you... dye your hair?" You tried to hide it to the best of your abilities, but it was hard when your hair was still shoulder-length.

"Yeah, do you like it?" You removed the beanie that was hiding most of it. "I tried to match you. It can be slightly tricky, but I think the hairdresser did a great job." You ran your hands through your hair and tried looking at the ends of it.

"I'm speechless... I think you look great. I never thought you'd ever dye your hair, you told me you've always had black hair throughout your life."

"Yeah..., but I wanted to support you for your upcoming colonoscopy exam. I know you're afraid of going under, and I don't really know how else to show you my support."

"Detka... just you being here is good enough for me." Natasha held your hands and rubbed your cheeks endearingly.

"I think you look like sisters." Riley interrupted the loving moment with a quick sentence.

"You're right! I can't have that! You're supposed to be my wife, not my sister!" Nat's sudden change of mood left you very surprised. However, what's more surprising is that Riley has her arms crossed and nods along with Nat.

"You two cheeky little-"

"Ahh mama help!" She wrapped her arms around Nat's neck as both of them ran away from me.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you! The monster can't get to us!"

"Come back here!" You shouted before going after them.

Written on 22 April 2023
Posted on 21 Aug 2023