The Unexpected S.J (Req)

Requested

Vanessa, Scarlett's sister, invited both of you to her house for dinner on Friday. There wasn't anything special, just a day for everyone to get together and hangout.

However, your wife had a different take to it. While you were grateful for Vanessa to offer her house as the gathering spot, and you were more than okay to bring a few foods to the occasion, Scarlett was making it such a big deal. All of you meet up frequently enough during the year that wouldn't warrant such a reaction. Normally, she would be laid back and casual about what she was going to bring but she actually made so much that it was like she was the one hosting the gathering.

"Scarlett... are you sure I should be wearing this?" You looked at the clothes your wife had laid out for you, she was even dictating what you should wear this time. "It's going to be so hot wearing this in her backyard for the bbq." You pointed at the yellow button up that Scarlett took out for you.

"Please... for me, baby?" She pleaded.

"Fine, if I die of heatstroke, you know whose fault it is." You took the shirt and changed right in front of her. When you see her smiling after changing, you're reminded of the time you proposed to her. "You look very beautiful." Your voice and mind were in sync.

A slap to your biceps brought you out of your daze. "I have yet to change!"

"Really? Couldn't tell at all." You smiled before giving her a quick peck. "Better hurry up babe. I'll bring everything to the car first. Don't take too long or Hunter is going to tease you for being the last again."

You took the pots and pans from the kitchen and brought it to the car, making sure you position it such that it wouldn't wobble too much. Sure enough, you had to wait a bit for Scarlett, but when she came down, she was wearing a beautiful sundress that she looked so free in.

"I'll have a hard time working if you're around me at work." You said as you opened the door for her.

"If it were up to me, you wouldn't even have to work."

===

Finally, you arrived at Vanessa's house and everyone had already arrived. You quickly greeted everyone and went to the back to put the food at its correct place.

"Wow, everyone managed to be here." You noted as you looked at the number of people around. Usually, there would be two or three who couldn't come due to work schedules or other commitments that they have already planned ahead. "Is it someone's birthday today? Why are there so many decorations around?"

You had a good look around before noticing that everyone was looking at you. Feeling self conscious, you scurried to find Scarlett and saw her when she finally stepped out. "This is for you."

"For me? I don't think this day or days surrounding means anything to me."

"It will, in the future."

"Well, what is it?"

"I'm pregnant!" She showed the sonogram she hid behind her back.

Fainting was a weird mechanism. It felt like a jolt of electricity hit the reset button in your brain and you couldn't see anything.

"I think I just had a dream." You muttered as you looked at the ceiling.

Only Scarlett was in the room with you. She looked at you worriedly. "You scared me. You fainted out of nowhere. Thankfully Hunter was there to catch you before your head hit the ground."

"I think I need more sleep." You buried your face deeper into the pillow facing away from Scarlett.

Scarlett pulled you back so that you were facing her again. "You can't go back to sleep. People are waiting for you."

You would have found this situation funny if not for the serious topic it carries. "You're seriously pregnant?" You looked her directly in the eye. This was not a topic to joke about.

"I am..." Once again, she took the sonogram she left on the bedside table and gave it to you. "I went to the doctors with Vanessa the other day and decided to give you a surprise." You're still speechless trying to wrap your head around this life changing fact.

"We are going to have a child in nine months, we are going to be parents." Scarlett seeing you covering your face with your hands thought you weren't excited. But before she could ask how you were feeling, you jumped up and grabbed her arm. "We are going to have a mini us running around in nine months!" You were smiling so brightly that your cheeks hurt.

"Well, not running in nine months, but yeah!" You were already fantasising all the things you would do with your kid. "Come on, let's head out. Mom was very excited about this. Also, Vanessa was recording but we didn't expect you to faint so it'll be a really nice video to watch."

You groaned when Scarlett dragged you out. "You're never going to let me live that down are you?"

Written on 15 Aug 2023
Posted on 20 Dec 2023