Naming S.J

Your POV
I came back from school and there was going to be a parent-child event in school. Our teacher gave us a letter to give to our parents informing them they were invited. There were going to be shows, games and food kinda like a fair.

I brought it up during dinner and Rose was very vocal about how excited she was to go. I wasn't sure if she was allowed but since Mrs Jones didn't say anything about the pax limit, I think she's alright. "Colin, would you be free to go?" It was happening on a Friday but I wasn't sure if his schedule was free.

"I am. But, wouldn't you want your mother to go instead?" He looked at mum.

"I thought it was a given that mum was coming with me. Are you busy on that day, mum?" I asked mum.

She shook her head before replying. "No I don't, sweetheart. But even if I had, I would cancel it for you."

"Alright! Thanks for dinner!" I took my plates and placed them in the sink before heading back to my room to complete my homework.

There isn't a lot but I always get distracted doing them so it takes me a long time to complete it. I usually study from 8pm to 12am but the actual studying amount is probably only 1 to 1.5 hours. I know I won't study at all if I don't do this though.

I was halfway through my calculus when mum came in holding a bottle of soda. "How is it going?"

I sighed slumping back into my seat. "I feel like I'm dying in this class really. I don't get why it is a mandatory subject."

"Aww baby, I'm sure it will turn out alright. Just try your best, I'm sure you will get marks somewhere. I remember frantically using every formula I thought was right and hoping that one was going to get me the correct answer." I sighed at her words, this means mum wasn't going to be of any help and I don't dare to ask my teachers for help.

"Do you know when dad's going to be back?" I asked mum, he went overseas for photography a month ago and whenever he does that, he never returns until he gets the photo he wants. It was partially why they got a divorce as he was hardly around. But mum and I still retained a healthy relationship with him. When there is a long holiday, I would follow him around but of course making sure I come back home on time.

"I'm not too sure sweetheart, do you want your dad to go to the school event instead of Colin?"

I shook my head. I just wanted to know when he was coming back. He usually brings back some kind of souvenir, my room is filled with weird objects he bought from around the world. "Baby, can you sit here for a moment?" She patted the area on the bed next to her.

I didn't feel like moving because I knew, once I was on the bed I would never leave it and end up not doing any homework but nevertheless, I got my butt up from my chair and plopped it on my bed dramatically.

"Ahhh, it feels so nice."

I heard my mum chuckle before saying. "Oh yeah? I'm still cool enough for you to cuddle with me?" I hummed, nodding, already feeling the pull of her and the bed dragging me away from the desire to study.

"I just want to ask, why do you never call Colin dad or something? You clearly seem to like him well enough to invite him to that school event of yours."

I sat up straighter and placed my back on the headboard and leaned my head on my mum's shoulder. "It's just how I have been calling him ever since I knew him. I have nothing against him really." I admitted.

"I find it weird to call someone something else when all my life I have been calling them that way. Let's take an extreme example, if one day, I found out that my dad wasn't my biological dad, I would still probably call him dad."

"I'll also probably never call my future partner by nickname or something unless I have been doing so since the beginning or before we started dating. It's kinda weird to change." I explained.

"Or does he want me to change? I can probably try if he wants." I sat up straighter, thinking about why mum came to talk to me about this.

"No no baby, Colin didn't talk to me about this at all. I was just wondering." She reassured me.

"He loves you more than anything. He wouldn't mind what you call him as long as he knows you see him as one."

"It's nice having multiple parents, especially when they are nice."

Written on 27 Aug 2022
Posted on 29 Oct 2022

Phew, it's been a while since I've written a one shot. It's the second week of Uni when I wrote this so the mini school rant was from there hehehe.