(64) The Emperor's Heart

The side hall of the Kunning Palace was completely silent. It was so quiet that Emperor Shang thought that his child had fallen asleep.

“What should I hate my father for?” Shang Wuxin closed her eyes as she laid on the soft couch, her voice making Emperor Shang’s heart ache, “Should I hate royal father for disregarding off on purpose to protect me, or should I hate royal father for making it seemed that I am no importance to divert the murderous intent from evil people, or should I hate royal father for sending people to protect me?”

Yes, Shang Wuxin had known from the start that perhaps the former Crown Prince did not know of the Emperor’s good intentions, but the present Shang Wuxin understood everything.

If Emperor Shang did not really love this child, how could he let Shang Wuxin live for so many years? Although it was true that Eunuch Hai was protecting her, it was easy for Emperor Shang to stop him from teaching her how to read and write. What was more important was that the princes had not killed Shang Wuxin for so many years. Although Shang Wuxin had suffered a lot, most of them had managed to escape by luck. No, many of them were Emperor Shang’s secret protections.

More importantly, Shang Wuxin had already begun to doubt herself when she came out of the woods and sensed that someone was following her without malice. Later on, she confirmed that these people had not come to kill her, but who else in Shang would care about her so much other than Eunuch Hai? At that time, Shang Wuxin was already suspecting Emperor Shang.

After that, when he met Emperor Shang for the first time, even though Emperor Shang had disguised himself well, Shang Wuxin could see through the father’s concern for his daughter. There were many things she did not understand, but she also knew the kind heart of the Emperor of Shang towards her. This made her feel more at ease. After all, it would be very troublesome to fight against an emperor.

Emperor Shang asked in surprise, “You already know?”

Shang Wuxin’s eyes were closed, a “hmm” coming from her nose.

Emperor Shang looked at his child with a complex expression, and only slowly opened his eyes after a long while did he say, “It is the autumn that I met your mother. That day, I came in private to bring a few guards along and in the street I meet the extremely beautiful Qiu’er. At that moment, I knew that I had fallen in love with this woman who was as peaceful as autumn. It was also during that autumn that I learned what love at first sight was. I often left the palace for Qiu’er’s sake after I let go of the Emperor’s identity. Even though I met with Qiu’er’s cold glare everytime during that period of time, it was a very happy period of time! ”

As Emperor Shang spoke, his eyes were filled with reminiscence, “Later, I finally moved Qiu’er, and told her who I was. I know that Qiu’er is an unrestrained woman of the martial world, so I promise her that in the future, I will only dote on her. If I knew that I would meet Qiu’er in this life, I would obediently wait for her. I wouldn’t have so many concubines and children! This is a debt I owe you, and also a grievance I feel towards Qiu’er!”

From Emperor Shang’s slow narration, Shang Wuxin did not have the heart to know many things and the reason.

Emperor Shang was not the most powerful prince of the late emperor. At that time, Emperor Shang did not have the intention to ascend the throne, but because he did not have the intention to do so, some people took a fancy to him and made him into a puppet emperor. Emperor Shang had struggled for many years until he met the empress. He had fallen in love and wanted to give her a firm and simple environment. Therefore, he fought back with all his might in order to wipe out the traitors of the imperial court.

However, the fact that a woman without any matriarchal influence had ascended to the position of the empress was already an accusation. More importantly, the empress had never gotten pregnant after she had ascended to the throne of Kun Ning Palace. Emperor Shang originally had a son, so he did not mind. However, Emperor Shang had little control over the imperial court, and it was at this time that Empress Qiu was poisoned. Emperor Shang had searched the world for famous doctors to save Empress Qiu, but the poison was not yet clear.