1. Introduction

Antonio's POV

Antonio's POV

"Adios, Antonio!" Flaca yelled to me. I walked out of the school and waved at her.

"Any plans, today?" Dina asked me. Dina is my best friend. Since diapers.

"No. I'm going to Ms. Bella's home. Y tu?" I asked.

"Papa wants me to help around the shop. Does he know how hard it is to make sure the rats don't come in and eat las tortillas!" Dina complained.

"Just get a cat." I said. She ruffled my brown curls. She always loves playing with my hair. Claims it's the softest thing she's ever touched.

"Hmm. I tried but that man never listens to me!" She groaned. I adjusted my round glasses on my face

"ANTONIO! ESPERATE!" A loud voice came from behind us. I rolled my eyes when Loko and Rafa came out the school doors and ran towards me and Dina.

"Ay, no!" I sighed.

"You can't escape La Guardia, hermano." Dina said.

La Guardia, or The Guard, are the bodyguards for our gang. We're part of Los Santos, or The Saints.

"I need to have a serious talk with Manny." I said. Manny, Manuel Garcia, is my older brother. Ever since our parents died, Manny has taken the adult role. He's the leader of the Saints. Though he's in the gang, I am not. I'd rather focus on my studies and get out of this place.

"There go the spics!" A voice said. Dina and I turned to see Archie and Jack. Jack is the leader of the Jewels. They're the Saint's rival gang, the Jewels from the west side. Archie is a member, though he's not important.

For years, the Saints and Jewels have fought for dominance in Newport City. The Saints control the west side, the Jewels control the east side. Our side is the poorer side. Most people live in slums and barely get by. The Jewels live in rich houses, mansions I should say!

"Back off, Jack!" Rafa said. Jack just laughed and backed away. Rafa is second in command to Manuel. And thus, Rafa treats me like a younger brother.

"Going to Ms. Bella's again, Mini Manuel?" Rafa asked me.

"Si." I said. I know my brother cares for me, but I don't need the Guard to babysit me. I can handle my own! Actually, no I can't.

We left the school grounds of Rochester High, the only high school in Newport. This place is neutral territory. Other neutral territories include Park Plaza (El Centro), the train tracks which cut through the middle of the city, Sally's Diner in the north, and the cemetery (though it's under the control of the Jewels).

Other than those places, the rest is controlled by one group or another.

"I have to leave. Adios, Ant!" Dina said. She waved and left. I continued walking through the streets.

Here's some more information about our precarious state. There's a train track that splits through the center of the city. This is the basic layout of territories. There are some places that overlap.

Police in this city is a joke. Officer Spangle, the main sheriff, has a tendency to blame us for crimes we never commit. Saints also get blamed for all the problems and conflict. Rarely do the Jewels get blamed for anything.

"This is your stop. We'll wait outside for you." Rafa said.

"Gracias. I'll be quick." I said. Rafa patted my back. Loko always had a weird look on his face. There's a reason his name is Loko. This man has done some crazy stuff. They're mainly rumors, but just how much truth is in those rumors?

Mini Manuel. I scoff at that nickname. Manuel is literally 20. Yes, he's the leader of the Saints. But people think I'm also a Saint. Even though I'm not. I've never gone through the initiation. I've never gone to jump anyone. The only thing that makes me Saint is my tattoo and affiliation to Manny.

I'm just waiting for the moment when I can finally leave this place and go to college. I'll actually get a degree and earn money the right way. And I'll be able to get Manny, Dolores, and myself out of this place.

And a part of that help is Ms. Bella.

------

bye! i love you all!

<3

His Saint, His Jewel ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara