67. Rosary

Antonio's POV

Antonio's POV

Once Dolores was able to sleep and Rafa had left, I quickly put on my sweater and climbed out my window. The cold air hit me like a sudden crash. I shivered and rubbed my arms, rethinking if it was a good idea to sneak out in the middle of the night.

But I'm a man on a mission. I know what I need to do.

I know that sooner or later, it will be time for our departure. It would be time for Mike and I to hop in his car and make the long drive to Oregon where our house is ready for us.

I've decided to visit Ms. Bella for the final time. This is part of my plan of saying goodbye to my favorite people. Next it will be Dina. And at the end, Dolores and hopefully Manny.

The cold night and heavy winds clashed against me. There were times when I wanted to turn around and go back home. I didn't even know if Ms. Bella was awake. I'd be disturbing an old lady's rest.

Luckily, when I reached her house, the porch light was on, meaning she was awake. And she quickly answered the door.

"Antonio? You shouldn't be out!" She quickly grabbed me and pushed me into her home. She locked the door. I noticed she was holding a shotgun.

"Why are you still awake, senora? It's midnight." I told her. She peaked outside the window and then quickly shut the curtain.

"My boy. It's dangerous out. I saw two fights on my way home from the store. Then I heard about your brother. It's not good to be out right now." She said. She motioned for me to sit on the couch.

"Yeah, Rafa told us it was gonna get pretty bad. I didn't know it would be this fast." I said. "Why are you awake right now?" I asked her.

"I feel like some thugs might try to break in. I'm keeping my guard up." She held up her gun.

"Uh, Ms. Bella." I said. She turned to me. "I think it's time." I said. She looked at me for a few seconds before walking towards me and giving me a tight hug.

"I knew time was coming. Promise me this." She said. She cupped my face into her soft hands and stared deep in my eyes.

"You've done so much for me. You can ask anything." I told her.

"Promise to live your life without anyone holding you back. No matter where you and Michael go, promise that no one will get in the way of living your best. You deserve this, Antonio." She said.

"I promise. I'll live my best with Michael." I said. She grabbed a necklace from off her neck and put it on my neck.

"Here. To protect you. Keep this and never let it go." I looked down and saw she had put a rosary on my neck. The rosary had wooden beads in a black thick string. The cross in the bottom was also carved from wood.

"I won't ever let this go." I said. I gave her a quick hug. A tight one. So tight, I thought I might snap her bones.

"You know how to cook, right?" She asked.