16. Wrong Side

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

“Dina!” I yelled at the Chicana to wait for me.

“Que?” She turned and waited for me to catch up. Once I did, we waited for me to catch my breath.

“Where’re we going?” I asked her. Dina just rolled her eyes and giggled. She’s always been my closest friend since birth. Our parents were friends who came here together. And after my parents died, Dina’s parents have made sure Manny and I are well taken care of.

I’m not sure why Manny thinks Dina and I are dating. I see us as friends. So has Dina. No. I’m in love with someone else.

“I’m going to la tiendita. Papa wants Advil.” She said. 

“I’ll come with!” I perked up. We both began walking.

“Oh, it’s closed.” She said when we reached the store.

“There’s another pharmacy close by.” I said. 

“Donde? (Where?)” She asked. I cringed when I realized where it was located. I rubbed the back of my neck, knowing Dina wouldn’t agree to it because of where it’s at.

“Right across the tracks.” I muttered.

“Uh-uh. Hell no! Can you imagine what the Royals would do to us! BAM!” Dina pretended to punch my jaw. I jumped back.

“Well, we can walk 10 blocks and the Ruins to go to the nearest store; or just cross the tracks.” I said, pointing to the area near the tracks with broken down houses from before the war. “Besides, I’m sure we’ll be fine.” I said. 

“FINE! But if I get killed, I’m coming back from Hell and haunting your ass!” Dina said. 

We walked up to the tracks. We scoped the area and made sure there were no Jewels scouting the area. Once we saw the coast was clear, we ran and hid behind a wall.

“You sure about this?” Dina asked. Her quivering breath indicated she was nervous.

“No. But we’re already here.” We got from our position and walked to the road.

“I met someone.” I said.

“Hold up! What!” She almost shrieked. “Who is it?! C’mon man, tell me!” Her attention was now hyper. I haven’t seen her this excited ever since, well, yesterday. This girl is always happy.

“I can’t tell you. I wish I could.” I played with my fingers.

Sometimes it’s best to shut up.

“Aww, come on! Who is she? Flaca? No, she’s too annoying. Bella? Nah,” Dina took a look down at me, “Not your type.”

Dina went on naming several girls from our side. When I kept saying no to each one, she suspected it may be an East sider girl. 

“Could it be a gu-” Dina was interrupted when we heard yelling from behind us. We stopped in our tracks and turned to see a group of about 5 Jewels coming up to us. 

“RUN!” I said to Dina. Adrenaline coursed through our blood as we ran fast, away from the guys who also began running. The sound of their footsteps got closer.

“In here!” I said, pointing to an alley that was ahead of us. We almost made it until we were grabbed by hands.

“Got the spic!” One of them yelled. They laughed as Dina yelled at them to let us go.

“What are these beans doing on this side of town?” One of them said. I struggled in the arms of one of the guys who held my arms back. I kicked all over the place.

“LET US GO!” I yelled, thrashing and trying to pry myself away from the hard grip on my wrists.

“Shut up.” One of them said. He balled his fist and punched me in my stomach. The wind was knocked out of me. I coughed to regain my breath. Dina was pleading for someone to help us. But everyone who walked by either ignored us or gave the Jewels a thumbs up.

“Tell Manuel this is a warning if he ever messes with us again.” The Jewel with red-hair said. 

I spat in his face. He growled and wiped it off his face. 

He punched my face, knocking me to the ground. I was soon surrounded by 4 of the 5 Jewels. One of the Jewels was holding Dina as she screamed bloody murder.

“¡DÉJALO EN PAZ! (LEAVE HIM ALONE!)” She screamed.

I covered my head and shielded my chest away from their kicks and punches. My glasses were definitely broken at this point. My nose and mouth seeped blood.

A kick was placed on my head. An eerie ring was in my ears. 

That’s when I heard the sound of tires screeching. A booming voice was yelling.

“HEY!” The voice said. The kicks and punches stopped. But my body was losing consciousness. My vision blackened right before I caught a glimpse of a red Buick.

------

we were told it was gonna rain in socal this weekened. LIES

bye! i love you all!

<3