38. Hello, Mama & Papa

Antonio's POV

Antonio's POV

I asked Michael if we could get some flowers before we went to the cemetery. I asked for red and white roses. Red was my dad's favorite and mom loved white. She was so pretty in white dresses.

Mike understood the weight of all this. He didn't joke around or gave me lustful kisses. He would hold my hand and drive with one hand to the cemetery. He pulled in and parked the car. Roses in hand, I walked towards the grave stones. I have a faint memory of where it's at. It's been years since I've come here. My memory tried to forget the day mama and papa were buried but it'll always be with me.

Then I saw it. The granite gravestone with a cross on top of it. Both were buried together because mama and papa were together their whole lives and died together. And I saw the names that confirmed it was them.

In Loving Memory of
Aleida Garcia-Lorenzo & Antonio Jose Garcia Lopez

I broke down crying then and there. I dropped to my knees and wailed. Mike got down and rubbed my back. At least I'm not alone grieving. And when I stopped crying, I set the flowers down.

"Hi, mama. Hi papa." I softly said. At least the graves were still clean. "It's been a while. I miss you."

Mike, who was still rubbing my back, asked me a question. "If you don't mind, how did they die?" He asked.

"It was a car accident. The road had been blocked. It had just finished raining and the road they usually take home was closed off because they wanted to build a mall there." I recalled that area, which is now occupied by high end stores. "Apparently they swerved and crashed into a telephone pole." I said.

I still remember that night. I think I was 11 at the time and Manny was around 16. I was busy drawing something for class when the police were outside. I didn't hear what was said, but I saw Manny break down crying. He turned to me and gave me a lop-sided broken smile. He told me he has to go somewhere with the police and that Rafa will look after me.

I continued drawing and Rafa kept asking me if I was okay. My naive self said "Yup!" but I didn't know that Manny was at the hospital crying his eyes out. I slept that night, the last time I ever had a normal sleep. And later that morning, I woke up to a lot of our close family and friends crying. Everyone looked at me when I walked into the living space with a smile on my face.

I asked what was wrong and Manny explained to me what happened. I knew the concept of death at that point. My cousin was killed from a fight. Death meant to me that a person's living body is gone and their soul is dissipated. When Manny explained that mama and papa died, I collapsed on the floor and cried my eyes out.

Everything was a blur afterwards. Funeral preparations. Grieving. Anger. Everything was given to Manny and he was given custody of me. Manny, despite being 16, was considered old enough to look after himself and me. Mama and papa were very liked in our community. They didn't hesitate to stop what they were doing and help out others. I remember the taste of casseroles since that's what everyone brought us to eat. Now I can't stand casseroles.

They were buried in the summer. It hit me that I'll never see them again. Occasionally I hear stories of my parents and how amazing they were. Manny still remembers them. He tells me that I look so much like mama but I was given papa's name. Manny looks so much like papa. I've seen pictures and we're like carbon copies of them.

"Ya'know, my parents came here when they were 25. Originally they lived in California but moved east because of the zoot riots. They heard from a family friend of Newport and an already established Latino community." I cried and rubbed my fingers on the cold stone.

"I can't even imagine that pain. They sound like amazing people." Mike said.

"They would've loved you, Mike. I didn't really talk to people back then. If only they could see the person that opened me up more."

Mike was silent until he turned to their graves. "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Michael Lexington. And I'm dating your son, Antonio. You've raised an amazing young man." He said. I laughed softly.

"Excuse, Mr. Garcia. But I wanted to ask if I could marry Antonio. I love him. Would that be alright?" He asked.

"Mike! You can't ask that!" I chuckled lightly.

"But why not? Don't I need permission to court you?" He asked.

"Maybe in a year. When we're 18. We'll come back here and then you can ask permission." I said.

"How come you've never visited them in the past?" Mike asked.

"Cause of the Jewels. They're set up here." I said.

"But the cemetery is neutral territory." He explained.

"True. But not the surrounding area. I've heard some of my friends tell me that they've tried to visit their dead ones but are chased away. We can't even visit our dead ones." I explained to him.

"Geeze. I'll talk to Jack about this. It's not fair!" He said. I kissed his cheek.

"Thank you, Mike." I turned to my parent's grave. A few tears would come down. But years of healing has made the damage hurt less.

"Tell me a story about them." Mike said.

"Alright. Well, when Manny was first born, mama and papa had money struggles. The only way they could make money was by selling food in front of the elementary school. Mama would set up while papa would take care of Manny. When Manny was hungry, papa would get a t-shirt and wave it like a flag to signal my mom. The two would switch. Papa would sell food while mama fed Manny. They continued this for a few months until papa got a better job." I remember Manny told me that story because mama would tell him that story all the time.

"They were hard workers, I bet." Mike said.

"They didn't want us to struggle. We still did but never complained. Sometimes they wouldn't eat and would let Manny and I eat." I said.

"Do you have anything else to say to them?" Mike asked.

I looked down and breathed in and out. "Mama. Papa. I'm doing great. I still miss you. And Manny is doing pretty good. He's in charge of the Saints. I know you said for him not to get involved, but he had to for us. Don't worry, he treats me good. He can be overprotecting but I know he's following what you told him to do. He has a girlfriend, Dolores Cardenas. And he plans on marrying her. And I'm going to university. The first one in our family." I said. I turned to Mike who was looking at the graves.

"And I met someone. Mike. I hope you aren't disappointed that he's a man. But I love him. I want to have a love like you two had. I miss you. I'll never forget you." I cried. Mike hugged me. I cried into his chest. I want them back. God it hurts so fucking much!

But being here, finally getting to talk to them, brings closure. That guilt I had for not visiting them is gone. And now they can have an update on our lives.

"Adios, mama and papa. I hope I'll see you soon." I said. I stood up and Mike did too.

"Goodbye, Mr. and Mrs. Garcia. I promise I'll look after your son." He said. We both kissed and walked away from the gravestone.

I feel better now. At least I can say that my boyfriend met my parents.

------

zoot riots are actually interesting. y'all should look into them.

adios!

<3