49. A New Home

Michael’s POV

Michael’s POV

It’s not weird that I keep smelling the pillows where Ant was sleeping on, right? There’s just this scent that Ant has. I think it’s pheromones. Cause it’s so fucking addicting. I miss him so much. It’s only been four hours since he’s left. He has to go home eventually. 

Soon, however, home will be with me.

I meant everything I said when I told Ant I would provide us a home. Because it seems like the only way I can love him is by not being here. Anywhere is home with Ant. But I want us to have a real home. 

Groaning out of bed, I got off and climbed out of bed. I knew where I had to look if I needed to find a new home. Dad had been giving me a bit of some education for when the time comes and I need to take over the company. Most of these lessons include how to trick clients, investing, and fucking over people. Not the most ethical approach, but hey, it’s business.

It’s gotten our family this far, can’t let the dynasty die out. Or maybe I will.

Dad’s office is hauntingly huge for no reason. Imagine a gothic room but with velvet accents and mahogany wood everywhere. The shelves were full of books from when my dad was at Harvard and Princeton. Pictures of dad shaking hands with the King of England and the US president. We get it dad, you’re a big shot.

The book I was most after was the available properties book. I found it on one of the shelves near dad’s desk. The book is full of properties that scale from small townhouses to whole cities.

The other books have things for large buildings or islands. I read over some of them. ‘Los Angeles cottage’, ‘New York City apartment’, ‘Richard’s Resort casino’. I mainly ignored the homes in large cities and on the east and south. I’ve heard that the west is a lot more accepting of people like Ant and I. Not fully tolerant, but better than Virginia.

A knock on the door derailed me from my train of thought. I’m not expecting anybody Sunday, My parents are coming next month, in time for Christmas. I hope we’ll go on our annual trip to Ceylon and the Maldives. 

“I’m coming!” I yelled. I expected maybe some Mormon or a kid selling bubble gum but saw something more annoying. “Oh, it’s you.”

“Right back atcha, buddy o’!” Petey said. He walked without even asking to come in. 

“Welcome home.” I muttered. 

“So, what are we doing?” He asked. He grabbed a cup and sipped on some water and sat on the island, dangling his legs back and forth. He’s like my brother, which means I’m allowed to smack him without care.

“What are YOU doing here? Don’t you have church with your mom?” I asked. Petey held up a finger while finishing his water.

“Mom’s been on my ass about church after she found a love bite on my neck. She thinks I’m with Father Pius right now helping him with the orphan kids.” He chuckled.

“Well, I’m house hunting right now.” I started to walk back to my dad’s office. “You can help if you want.”

“House hunting? For who?” He asked.

I sat back on the floor, which so far had a few pages with houses I was interested in. “Promise you won’t say anything. Not to a single soul!” Petey nodded his head yes. 

“Dude, I swear. I’m already keeping one of your biggest secrets.”

“Alright.” I cleared my throat. Shit, now I’m nervous. “Ant and I are planning on running away.” A gasp came from Petey’s mouth. He was holding an Aristotle book but dropped it.

“Are you fucking joking?!” He sort of shouted.

“Well, I’m looking for a house, aren’t I?” 

“Yeah. b-but, wha- wait! No, this is ridiculous! You’re just gonna run away! Leave everything behind! You have so much to live for here!”

“And what do I have? My parents could care less. And I don’t give a damn about money!”

“You’ll be leaving your best friend behind, for fuck’s sake!” A few tears left Petey’s eyes. I’ve never seen this man cry before. 

“Petey.” I walked over and sat next to him on the desk. “Look, man. Besides Ant, you’re the only other thing that I care about. But I’m in love with Ant. We just want to leave so we can be together.”

“So that’s just it! Leave everything and lose millions? Is that a risk you’re willing to take!?” 

“... yeah. I’m taking my life in my own hands. Mom and dad keep trying to control my future. This is the future I want!” 

There was a moment of silence before Petey said anything. “Can’t say I didn’t expect this.” He chuckled raspily to himself. “You’ve put yourself in danger since starting this. It does make a bit of sense to leave.” He eyed the documents on the floor.

“What d’ya say? Wanna help me find my new home?” I asked him.

Petey was in deep thought for a while. Probably observing every possible outcome, good or bad. And probably reliving our old memories and the ones I’m leaving behind. 

“Sure. Let’s fucking do it.” He breathed out.

There was still a tense feeling Petey gave off. I know he’s upset. We’ve been friends since forever. I can’t imagine losing someone you love dearly. Sacrifices need to be made.

“I think we have a winner.” I said. We went through nearly one hundred documents. 

I had to think what would be best for Ant and I. A place where both of us can live a life of peace and eventually maybe get kids. I also want a place with a nearby college for Ant. I sort of just plan on getting a normal job. Don’t worry, I’m not an idiot. I’ll be withdrawing as much money as I can so we won’t starve for a while.

“You sure this is the place?” Petey asked. I looked at the picture of the home. I can already imagine me mowing the lawn while Ant watches me as he does his school work. Everyday will be full of love and laughter. Then we can go to sleep and wake up to each other again.

There’s enough room in the home where we can invite guests and friends over. It’s still far. In Oregon. Which means that we won’t be able to visit Newport as often as we want to. Still, I think this place is it.

“This is it. This is perfect.” I said.

“Well, shit. Now we gotta clean up.” I looked down and saw the amount of clutter we made. 

“Not now, Petey. I need a moment.” I said to him.

Petey groaned. “This is what love does.” He whispered to himself and bent down to pick up all the papers and place them back into the book. 

I smiled to myself, waiting to tell Ant the great news about our home.

------

hey! new book out! check out Vittori if you're into mafia stuff!!! gonna be one of my more spicy stories ;)

<3