18. Scandal

Dina’s POV

Dina’s POV

“Manuel isn’t home.” I told the erratic Jewel guy. I have no idea why he’s helping out. I’ve seen this guy around. He’s a high ranking Jewel. Jack’s right-hand man. Although I’ve never seen Michael do any crimes, by association he’s guilty.

“Open the door!” Michael frantically yelled at me. He parked his car in front of the Garcia’s house. I got out and opened the door to allow Michael to carry an unconscious Antonio. 

“Right here!” I pointed to the couch. Michael set Antonio on the couch. I moved to add a pillow on the back of his head. I stared down and went to get some wet towels to clean the blood.

“He’s gonna need more than that.” Michael said. I almost forgot he was here. His face was worried. Which was weird because why is a Jewel so concerned about a Saint. I agreed that Antonio would need more. Bandages maybe and stitches.

“I can go get some supplies.” I said, standing up and heading to the exit.

“I’ll- I’ll stay here.” Michael replied. He took a stool and sat next to Antonio.

“Good idea. Don’t move!” I said. I exited the house and made sure to close the door. I looked around to see if any Saints were around. So far, nothing. Although I’m sure the bright red expensive car would give away that something weird going on. 

I raced to the Hub where I knew we had a medic room with many supplies. I looked around and grabbed anything I could. Everyone here was distracted so I ran home. Michael’s car was still there, meaning he hasn’t left yet. 

I entered the house but stopped at the door.

I saw Michael rubbing Antonio’s head and looking like he was on the verge of tears.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there sooner.” Michael softly spoke. I remained standing there, shocked at whatever was going on. Why was Michael being so kind to Antonio?

Something is going on…

Then Michael leaned in and kissed Antonio’s forehead.

I so badly wanted to drop my items but that would make noise. Maybe I’m just seeing things. Michael held onto Antonio’s hand gripping it tightly. 

For fuck’s sake! Stop being a chismosa and go and help Antonio who is bleeding out!

I left temporarily and made my way back to the house making as much noise to alert Michael I’m coming. When I entered, Michael was sitting next to Antonio, like he wasn’t just holding his hand and kissing him a few seconds ago.

“I got supplies.” I set the stuff on the table and got everything set.

“Will this be enough?” Michael asked, subtly wiping his tears.

“Mmhmm. I think he’s just got surface bruises.” I grabbed some alcohol and poured it on his wounds. As I was working, Michael just stood back and watched as I helped his… lover? 

I know damn well I’m going to press Antonio about this.

“How do you know so much about this?” Michael asked. 

“You kinda learn how to fix wounds when living in a war zone. Fixed my cousin's bullet wound one time.” I said. 

Truth is, everyone here learns to heal basic wounds. Medical care is way too expensive. I still recall my prima Rosita who went to the hospital and was charged $35 for a bandage! 

“Okay. So he’s bandaged up. But he’ll need a few days to heal.” I said.

“BERNADINA! DONDE ESTAS?” A loud voice said from outside.

“Shit! It’s my dad!” I turned to look at Michael. “You have to go, now!” I said. Michael mumbled something and gave one last look at Antonio before running out and hopping in his car. I watched from the window as his car sped down the street and turned the corner to enter the other side. 

“Bernadina!” Dad entered the house and saw me. He took a look at Antonio, worry littering his face. “Que pasó a Antonio? (What happened to Antonio?)” Dad asked.

“Uhhh.” I tired thinking of an excuse. “It was los Jewels. They attacked Antonio and I helped him.” I said.

“Mija. I told you not to get involved with this silly gang business! ¿Cuándo vas a entender?! (When will you understand?!)” Dad asked me. 

I’m not a Saint. I never joined the Saints. I never will! But Antonio is sadly involved by association.

“Papa. Antonio was hurt. This isn’t gang business. He was hurt.” I yelled at him. The adults don't understand what we have to struggle through. These Jewels are evil and dangerous.

Dad groaned. “I’ll stay here until Manuel comes home. Then we’re going home!” Dad sat at the table while I tended to Antonio and waited until everyone came home.

------

i just found out the real reason why the little mermaid was written. if these conservatives have a problem with ariel being black, well they've got some hard news coming...

bye! i love you all!

<3