3. Race

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

“Por qué tengo que ir, Manny? (Why do I have to go, Manny.)” I whined.

“It’s to show off those gringos that we are united as one!” Manny said while he put on his leather jacket. Manny is taller than me. He’s 6’2 and has our dad’s messy hair. He got most of our father’s traits such as facial structure and attitude. Manny is very authoritative. He’s very hot headed and protective of the Saints.

And of me. Though I’ve told him to lean off, I still appreciate how much he cares for me.

“Can’t I stay home?” I pleaded.

“No! Eres mi hermano pequeño (You're my little brother). The gang sees you as their little brother too! You have to go! No questions asked!” Manny said. I groaned and dressed ready to go.

“If you’re worried about the Jewels, don’t be. Today there is no war. Just a race.” So he says.

Race days occur one every six months. The two sides will race each other in different rounds. The winner gets to control the Park Plaza, or El Centro as we call it. Park Plaza is located right through the center of town. It’s a sought after location since the size allows for large gatherings. Currently, the Saints own it.

“Ya vamonos (Let's go)!” Manny said. I rolled my eyes and put on my glasses.

“Hola, Tonio!” Dina said. We hopped into Manuel’s rusty blue Chevy Corvette. We drove for a while until we reached a huge dirt parking area. 

We exited the car and heard the sound of music playing. It was almost like a carnival. Except, you can tell by the expressions of everyone that there was tension.

We hopped out of the car and many Saints came up to Manny to greet him. Some greeted me too. I stayed back with Dina. Some East siders walked past us and gave us the stink eye. 

“Come on! They’re about to start!” Dina said. She pulled my arm and led us through the crowd. We reached the basin where the race would take place. 

We walked into the concrete river. It was a sort of quarry, an indent in the ground that was very wide. A river flowed through it but during this time the river is very short. Some benches were set up along the edge for us to sit. There were two sides.

“They’re over there!” Dina said. We head over there and sat next to Manny, Dolores, and Rafa.

“They’re starting!” Dolores cheered.

A huge bell rang and the cars were in their starting positions. First, small buggy cars will go first. Our side had a red buggy. It’s a bit beaten down but I’m sure Damacio, a fellow Saint, was able to make some small tweaks to it.

After the race finished, the Saints came out on top, This was only round one of three. The next round is with much bigger cars like Porsche. And the final round is a two-parter. I don’t know much about it since this is only the second time I’ve been here.

The next round began and this time the Jewels won. Tensions were much higher with a tie on the stage. 

“Intermission. Anyone need to go to the bathroom?” Manuel asked.

“I do!” I said. No one else had to so I went alone. I slipped out and made my way back to the parking lot area. There were port-a-potties there, split of course to pertain to the sides.

The sky at this point was dark. The sun had set. I didn’t even notice the sun had gone down. It was dark and there was rarely anyone here. After waiting to get the courage to use the bathroom. There were small lamp posts which illuminated this area.

“I’LL MEET UP WITH YOU RIGHT NOW!” A loud voice said. I turned but only saw a silhouette of a tall person. I turned to face the port-a-potty when a voice spoke to me.

“I didn’t know anyone was here.” The voice said. It was deep and sent shivers down my spine. 

I turned around and saw the most attractive and sexiest person I’ve ever seen.

Fuck, and he’s white!

------

bye! i love you all!

<3