6. My Love

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

“ESOS PINCHE GRINGOS!” Manny yelled when we got home. 

“Calmate, Manuel. ¡No grites en la casa! (Calm down, Manuel. Don't yell in the house.)” Dolores said to Manuel.

“¿Cómo puedo calmarme? (How can I calm down?) It’s obvious that the Jewels cheated! Did you see those spikes on their car!” Manny yelled. He tugged off his leather jacket and threw it on the couch.

“Compa, you’re lucky it wasn’t a race for pinks. At least-” Rafa said but Manny cut him off.

“Who cares?! They cheated. Now we’ve lost a valuable area.” Manny seethed. Everyone can feel his anger seeping into the room.

“Only for the next six months! You’ll get a chance back.” Rafa said. 

I didn’t care so I’m going to bed.

“Buenas noches!” Dolores called out to me.

“Buenas noches!” I said back. I entered my room. Well, it’s not really a room. It’s very small. But we’re lucky that I even have my own room. Our home has three very small ones. It’s better than having one.

I entered and turned on the lights. I began to dress out of my clothes and sat on my small desk. I pulled out my journal and detailed my day. 

I mentioned the dead bird I found at school. Ms. Bella and her jewelry. The race and Manny’s anger. And Michael.

I wrote in my journal about everything that happened. From the moment he spoke to the moment we almost kissed and the glances we shared at the race. We would’ve kissed if it wasn’t for Dina who called out for me. 

Michael is a true work of God. His chiseled jaw looked like something out of the cover of Vogue. He stood over me, he was at least 6’2. His eyes, blue as the ocean, swirled with wonder. His hair draped over his forehead and waved in the soft wind. And from the bulges in his shirt, I saw how much muscle he carried on his body.

He could snap me in half. Though I can feel that he would never do that.

Do I love him? It’s too early to say. I’ve known since a year ago there was something wrong with me. I never found any girl attractive. Instead, I gawked at how good-looking the men in Dolores' magazine were. 

I would steal her magazine and… ruffle my feathers… with them. I hate to admit it, but I don’t like women. In any romantic way.

But I don’t think me liking men is the issue. I think the issue is that Michael is a Jewel.

Manny would kill me if he found out I was falling for a Jewel. But to be fair…

…I’m not a member of the Saints.

Therefore, I stand on neutral ground. But in this city, your side is determined by the color of your skin.

But does the color of my skin really matter? No! Because no matter what, my feelings are valid. 

Why, God! Must you make my love unrequited? You already made me love men. But now I’m starting to like a person that Manny would never approve of. A top Jewel member?

I think I’ll just go to sleep and wake up tomorrow. 

The problem will still be there. But so will Michael…

------

bye! i love you all!

<3