51. Confronted

Antonio's POV

Antonio's POV

There's a compartment under my floor where I like to keep a bunch of my things. You wouldn't really notice it, but there's a loose floorboard. Since most of my floor creaks, you wouldn't know what's under. But lift the floorboard that has a wood design that looks like a cat, and you'll find my secret chamber.

I first used to store my special color pencils down there because Dina would sometimes steal them for herself. Then it moved on to some vinyls. After mama and papa died, it was used to store some pictures I had of them. They're still there.

Then it was used to hide some of Dolores' magazines that had sexy men on them. I'll never tell her where they went. It's my secret.

Now, I keep the ring Mike gave me and the money that she gave me today. I don't know what I'll ever do with the money. Go to college? Use it for our new life? I guess I'll have to see what happens within the next few weeks as the fight approaches between Manny and Jack.

"Antonio?!" Manny knocked on my door. I quickly put the loose floorboard back on and closed it. I stepped on it to make sure it was shut and not noticeable.

"Que?" I said as I opened the door to see him standing there with papa's jacket on.

"Vamos! We're having a meeting." He said. I slipped on my shoes and put on a sweater. Dolores came up and locked the house. We walked the one block to reach the Hub which was located near our home in a run down building. There's buildings around in worse condition. This place just happens to be in better condition.

"Rafa!" Manny yelled out when we stepped in. Rafael came to give Manny a "guy hug" and shook my hand and kissed Dolores' cheek.

"Everyone's here. They're waiting for you." Rafa said. Dolores went into the small kitchen with Flaca and Dina to make snacks.

I usually hang out with the ladies and help them but with the urgent nature of the fight, I have to go to this meeting and see what's the topic about. I ran after Manny and Rafa as they walked into the meeting room. Manny turned and raised an eyebrow when he saw me following him but didn't say anything.

"Manuel!" Someone yelled. Everyone stood up and shook his hand. I slithered by and avoided people because it's flu season and I don't need to be sick and pass it on to Mike right now.

Once Manny took his seat at the front of the table and I took a seat on the side, everyone sat. "I brought you here as a catch up on the fight." He rambled on.

"I'm determined to win this!" Some people cheered him on. I bet Manny wishes he had a beer with him to raise. "But I'm here to lay out the plans if anything were to happen to me."

Happen to him? I guess that makes sense. You can never be sure of the future.

"First thing, should I be out for a while or longer, Rafa will be taking over as my successor." Rafa nodded in understanding. "Next, I will trust Rafa and the rest of you to look over Antonio and Dolores. Protect them at all costs." He said.