78. Reunion

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

I stared into the face of the man. The man that I’ve dedicated my life to. The man that I’ve claimed as mine.

“What’s wrong?” Mike asked. I stared into his blue eyes.

“I just…” I reached forward and touched his face. “I can’t believe you’re here.” I said. My eyes began to tear up.

“I’ve been waiting for so long. I thought I was gonna die if you never woke up.” Mike said. 

My fingers ran over his stubble on his face. “You haven’t shaved.” I pointed out.

“Yeah, I’ve been occupied by other things. But I promise, when we get out, I’ll shave.” He said.

“No, don’t.” I said. I felt the hair on his chin. “You look better like this. I think you should grow it out. It’ll make you look sexier.” I said.

“If you think so, then I’ll grow it out.” Mike grabbed my hand on his face, brought it down to his lips, and kissed them. 

It was just silence between us. The only sound was the beeping of the machine next to me. I want to jump into Mike’s hand, but at last, the doctor’s said I need these IVs in me. Apparently to “keep me alive”. 

“So, Ant.” Mike said. “I uh, wanted to know if you still want to.” He said nervously.

“Run away?” I asked him. He nodded. 

“A lot has happened in the past few weeks. I wasn’t sure if you were still up for it. Do you still want to run away?” He asked with tears in his eyes.

I knew my answer. Ever since we brought the idea up, my answer always remained the same. I was hesitant at times, and even wanted to delay the plan, but I always saw myself with what I wanted.

“I still want to run away, Mike.” I told him. “I want us to run away. And start our life anew.” 

“Really?!” He had the biggest smile on his face. I nodded. “This is perfect!” He leaned forward and kissed me on my lips.

How I miss his lips. 

“I got the principal of Rochester to approve an early graduation for us! We’ll get our diplomas and get our transcripts! Even if we don’t go to college, we can still get good jobs!” Mike said.

“But what about you? Are you willing to leave this life of money behind?” I asked him.

“There is no life if you’re not in it.” He replied with the most sincere voice. 

“When are we doing it?” I asked.

“I wanna leave before my parents come back. So… in about two weeks.” He said.

“Dolores said I’ll get discharged in two weeks. It’ll be perfect.” 

“Then it’s settled. We’ll run away before Christmas.” Mike placed his head on the bed near my legs. “I’m just gonna lie down here.” Mike said.