50. A Future Start

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

There are a few things on my mind. Well, actually, a lot on my mind. To break it down, first things first: running away. I’m all on board with running away. It’s the only way I can be with Mike. Second: I need to find some money. Wherever we end up, I want us to not worry financially about our future. Third: how to say goodbye to everyone. Do I leave a note? Do I just tell them that I’m in love with the enemy and we’re running away? Who the fuck knows!

Fuck! And college! Will we move to a place with a school nearby? 

So many factors at play. But all lead to one ending. Which is me being with Mike somewhere else.

“Antonio? What are you doing here? You don’t look so good.” Ms. Bella said when she opened her door and saw me standing there. It was so obvious that I was nervous and sick.

“I need to ask you something, senora.” I said. Ms. Bella stepped aside and let me in her home. Once I sat on her couch, I breathed a sigh of relief knowing I’m in a safe place.

“Tell me, mijo, what’s going on?” She asked. I closed my eyes then opened them once I got my shit together.

“Mike and I are running away!” I blurted out. Ms. Bella’s eyes widened until her expression changed.

“You know, I sometimes imagined how this would go. I wasn’t sure if I was gonna find out from a phone call, or a postcard from your new home. I guess this is how I’m finding out.” She softly said. I broke down crying. 

“It’s the only way, Ms. Bella! Manny and everyone else will never understand! I love Mike! We can’t be together here! You have to understand!” I sobbed into my hands. 

“I understand, Antonio.” She said. I looked up at her with teary eyes to see her looking at me with so much care.

“You do? I thought you would call me stupid or an idiot for being so rash on this?”

“No, Antonio. From the moment you came in here and cried about Michael, I can see just how much you’ve fallen for him.” She went to sit next to me and rub my back. 

“I-I don’t want to ask cause you’ve given me so much already. But…” I said. 

“I know what you’re gonna ask, Antonio.” She stood up and walked to one of her couches. Her small hands grabbed the cushion and lifted it up. Despite being here for over a year, I never knew there was something under there. “Here. I was saving this for you.”

In my hand was an envelope. The thickness was almost an inch. I opened it and pulled out some of the bills. It was all Franklins. 

“How much is this?” I asked.

“Enough to pay for your education and some more. But, judging from what you told me, you can use the money however you want.”

“Thank you, senora. Thank you so much.” I thanked the woman.

“Of course, Antonio. But what will you do about college? Are you going to work when you and Michael move?” She asked.

“Mike said he's gonna find us a home with a college nearby for me to attend and he’ll work on the house. I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m kinda excited for us to live together.”

“I can see, little one. Just make sure you and Michael stay safe. No matter where you two go, there will always be people who will never understand.” She told me. 

“But I don’t know how to break the news to Manny and Dolores. I at least want to say goodbye to them before I leave. But Mike promised that we’ll get to visit them. Not as much as I would like but it won’t be a forever goodbye.”

“I think you should tell them before you leave. It’s better if you tell them that you’re leaving so they have closure. A note would be too insensitive. Just tell them before you leave. They’ll understand. Yeah?” 

“Mmhmm. I understand.” I looked down at the stack of money in my hands. I feel selfish for taking this. However, this was always the deal. Ms. Bella was to give me money. There’s no disputing it.

“Run along, kid. It’s getting late. You’ll need to spend all your time with Manuel and Dolores.” I stood up from the couch and made my way to the front door.

“Gracias, Ms. Bella.” I gave her a tight hug. Her small frame held me close, patting my back 

“It’s going to be okay. Soon, you’ll find peace. Have a beautiful day, mijo.” She said. I kissed her cheek and left her home, putting the stack of money in my sweater pocket so no one would see it.

------

<3 bye!