2. Ms. Bella

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

I knocked on the wooden door and waited. Rafa and Loko were outside waiting for me to finish my duties.

“Antonio! Come in, come in!” Ms. Bella said. She let me enter her house. I put down my book bag and turned to face her. The small elderly lady wore a cardigan around herself. He gray hair held up by a bandana.

“Need help with anything, senora?” I asked.

“Yes. I bought this television from a gentleman downtown. But I can’t seem to get the darn thing to work.” She said. She motioned for the television on a stand in the corner of the living room.

“I’ll have a look at it.” I said. I walked over to it and grabbed the instruction manual near it. I flipped through the pages and checked if everything was matched perfectly.

“Anything wrong?” She asked.

“Yes. You forgot to match the yellow cable to the output.” I plugged it in. The space I was in was small. There was no way Ms. Bella would’ve been able to reach this spot. Thank God I’m scrawny and skinny. 

“It’s on! Thank you, Tonio.” Ms. Bella said. I got out of my spot and saw the television was on. 

“No problem.” I said. Ms. Bella walked into her room while I waited for her.

I met Ms. Bella a year ago. It just so happened to be by accident. I was walking through the streets when I saw her beginning to cross. She didn’t see the car that was speeding down the street. In a quick move, I jumped in and pulled Ms. Bella back and saved her.

The car, which was an expensive model (probably someone from the East side) didn’t stop and kept driving. In the process, my glasses fell off and were ran over by the car. Ms. Bella thanked me and asked about my glasses. I told her they were a bit expensive and I wouldn’t be able to buy new ones.

Ms. Bella offered to buy me new glasses. I refused, mentioning that I couldn’t accept her money. Ms. Bella wouldn’t let me turn down her offer. Since then, she’s been funding my studies. I was able to purchase books. Ms. Bella has a lot of money. She owns Sally’s Diner, a popular place many hang out at. She also refuses to give her money to her children.

And within a few months, Ms. Bella has offered to pay my college tuition. 

“I wanted to give you this.” Ms. Bella held a box in her hand. She set it on the table and opened it.

“I can’t take this, ma’am. There’s no way!” I said. I looked down into the box and saw an expensive looking bracelet in it.

“Of course you can. I see potential in you, Antonio. Out of everyone in this neighborhood, you have the best future, mijo. I believe in you.” She held my face.

“Thank you. I’ll cherish this.” I said.

“I know you will. And one day, you’ll give them to someone you love.” She placed a kiss on my forehead.

“Now, run along. I’m sure Manuel is wondering where you are.” Ms. Bella said. I tucked the box of gold in my book bag.

“Manuel is always wondering where I am. It’s getting on my nerves.” I complained.

“He just cares for you, mijo. He feels like he needs to make sure you’re safe.” She chuckled.

“Adios, Ms. Bella!” I said as I walked out of her door.

“Adios, Antonio! Stay safe!” She said.

“Ya terminaste? (Are you finished?)” Rafa asked.

“Mmhmm.” I said. Rafa and Loko proceeded to walk me home. I entered our house and walked in.

“TONIO! ES TU? (Is that you?)” Dolores asked. Dolores is Manuel’s long time girlfriend. 3 years, I think. I’ve overheard Manny talk to Rafa about possibly marrying her soon. I’m fine with it. Dolores treats me like a younger brother rather than a son like Manuel.

“Si.” I responded. I set my book bag down and waited while I drank water. Manuel entered the house and was covered in car grease.

“Es tiempo, ‘mano. (It's time, little brother)” He patted his hands down onto his dirty pants.

Oh no!

------

bye! i love you all!

<3