23. Profess

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

“¿Estás listo Rafa? (Are you ready, Rafa?)” Manny asked. I sat on the couch and was engrossed in a book. 

“Where are you going?” I asked Manny. I picked up my apple and ate it. 

“A war council. I’ll be back in a few hours. Don’t stay up.” Manny said.

“Can I come?” I asked. I want to make sure that Manny doesn’t say anything quixotic or insane that would most likely hurt him.

“After last time when you suggested we talk it out, hell no!” Manny kind of yelled at me. I don’t understand. Manny never raises his voice at me. Rafa and Dolores noticed this too based off their shocked expression.

“Sorry for not wanting you to get killed.” I said under my breath.

“¿Por qué levantaste tu voz? (Why did you raise your voice?)” Dolores asked Manny softly. 

“Lo siento, hermanito. (I'm sorry, little brother.)” Manny said to me. “It’s just a lot going on. Don’t put yourself in this business. Just study and get the hell out of here. Okay?” he asked. I nodded and he messed up my already messy hair.

They left after that. So I was home alone. Again. I tried to do something but everything was boring. 

So I called it a night and went to my room. I yawned and was about to fall asleep when the familiar tapping on my window that fully awoke me. 

“Mike!” I called out to him.

“Is Manuel here?” He asked.

“They left a while ago.” I said.

“Perfect.” He said. He climbed the window edge and admired me like I was his prized possession. “I have something to tell you.” He said.

“Talk away.” I said. 

“Alright.” He said. “You know I love you, Antonio Jose Garcia. I’ve never felt this way for anyone. When I wake up, it’s you I think of. And before I sleep, I smile with the thought of you. I wish things were different and I could easily kiss you whenever I want. But I can’t. Instead, I’m forced into these small moments with you. But every moment is cherished.” He said. 

“I wish we could have more time together.” I said.

“I love you, Antonio. I’m a little scared because I’ve never felt this way about anyone. You're a guy, afterall. And you’re supposed to be my enemy. But I don’t see it as that. No, Ant. I see you as my boyfriend. My life. Tonight, Ant, I just want to say that no matter what happens in the future, I won’t stop loving you. Not today, not tomorrow, not in a year. I’ll always love you.” Mike said.

I didn’t expect all these emotions to come from him. His promises to always love me filled my heart with the drug it’s been wanting and craves now.

“I love you too, Mike. I can’t possibly put it into words, but I hope you understand that I’ll love you. Even after death, I’ll still love you.” I said.

‘You only met a month ago.' Some would say. But when you truly meet the one, you’ll see that you’ll refuse to let them go. 

“Can I come in?” Mike asked.

“Yeah! Come on!” I said. Just as Mike was hopping into the window, Manny’s voice called from the outside of my door.

“Antonio. Why is your door locked? Abreme. (Open me.)” Manny said as he shook the doorknob. The rattling startled both Mike and I. 

“Shit! You have to leave.” I whispered to him.

“One day, we’ll have all the time in the world to be together. No one to bother us.” He whispered to me. I gave him a kiss before he hopped down the window. 

“Buenas noches.” Mike said in Spanish. 

“Goodnight.” I said back. He ran just as I went to unlock the door for Manny.

“Who were you talking to?” Manny asked. He looked outside the window.

“To myself.” I responded.

“Estos niños son raros. (These kids are weird.)” He muttered to himself and walked out the room. “Go to sleep.” Manny ordered me.

“How was the council?” I asked as Manny walked down the hall to his and Dolores' bedroom.

“I’ll tell you tomorrow. Buenas noches!” He yelled before I turned off the light and closed my door.

Mike’s words stuck with me. Even in my unconscious state, I dreamt of a place where Mike and I can be free.

------

guess who's dropping out of college?! me. that's who.

bye! i love you all!

<3