20. Birthday Boy

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

You’ve ever seen someone so angry that you almost think they’re a different person.

That’s how it was right now.

It’s been a hectic week since I was attacked. Manny went insane, asking us what happened and who did it. Of course we said it was the Jewels. But like Dina said, we left out Michael coming to save us.

My hero.

I guess now Dina knows about us. I was scared at first that she might say something. I’ve never seen her angrier before. But I can trust her. I know she’ll keep my secret. I grew up with her. We’re basically siblings.

Also, it’s my birthday. October 3rd. I’m officially 17 years old. Which in my family, is basically an adult.

I woke up to my back hurting. I haven’t been sleeping that well lately. With the whole Dina knowing about us and the whole relationship in general possibly killing us, yeah, it’s a lot of stress.

I got out of bed and put some socks on before exiting my room. The house was eerily quiet. I slowly walked into the living room. 

“¡Feliz cumpleaños!” Everyone cheered when I walked in. They threw confetti (someone’s going to clean that up) and began to sing happy birthday in Spanish. Manny, Dolores, Rafa, Dina, and a few others that aren’t really my friends but are Manny’s friends were here.

“Come on! We have pan y cafe.” Dina came and hugged me. I smiled that people care about my birthday.

“Happy birthday hermanito!” Manny gave me a tight hug. When he pulled us apart, he looked at me and ruffled my hair. “You look so much like mama.” He said, his voice full of melancholy. 

Manny got dad’s traits while I got mom’s traits. Manny was tall, with broad shoulders and dark hair. Meanwhile I got mom’s softer features such as bright pink lips and curly brown hair. 

“Mama and papa would love to be here right now.” Manny tried not to let any tears fall but one escaped. That’s how I knew he was getting emotional. There was a breach of emotions.

“What do you want to do later?” Dolores asked, breaking the somber atmosphere.

“Just a small gathering. Bring a few people over. That’s all I want.” I said. We ate breakfast and I thought about Michael. Would he get me something for my birthday?

School started. Which is always the worst thing. Having your birthday on a school day. A lot of people told me happy birthday, though. 

And a particular person gave me a special gift.

I walked into the empty bathroom and made sure no one was here. I washed my hands to get rid of any germs when the door opened. In walked Michael, the person I’ve been waiting to see.

“You never told me it was your birthday.” He said. His eyes held a bit of sadness. I could tell he was looking at my stitches on my face. However, it didn't seem to bother him. No, it was almost like he fell in love with me more.

“I didn’t think it would’ve been important.” I said.

“Are you kidding?! I love you! I could’ve gotten you a gift!” Michael stepped closer to me. I pulled him down and gave him a huge kiss on the lips. I savored his taste and pulled apart, looking at him.

“There. Now I got my gift.” I said. Mike blushed.

“I still want to get you something. ‘Cause you deserve it.” He said.

“I do indeed.” I said. “Fine. If you want to get me a gift, I won’t object.” I said.

“Jack is meeting with Manuel today. Did you know that?” Mike asked. Manny didn’t mention anything about a meeting. He seemed all happy this morning. Though, I guess that was a sign that something was off. He’s never happy in the morning.

“No I didn’t. What is the meeting about?” I asked. Mike is one of those high ranking Jewels. He could know something.

“Not sure. Just some issues the Jewels are having with the Saints after the race. Guess we’ll find out later.” He said.

I panicked a bit. I hope that nothing bad happens to Manny. I can only pray that when I get home, he’s gonna be there breathing and fine.

“I’m sure it’s fine. Don’t let this distract you from YOUR day.” Mike said. I hugged him, thankful to have such a tall softie who loves me.

When I got home, Dolores told me we had a meeting at the Hub. I expected this after Mike informed me of the meeting between Manny and Jack. 

Entering the Hub, I sat in one of the side seats. I never felt like I should sit at the actual table seeing as how I never contribute to the gang. So I just sat there eating a bag of chips while people said happy birthday to me.

A few minutes later, Manny walked in with Rafa by his side. The whole gang stood up like dogs and sat when Manny sat. So professional.

“I called this meeting because I had a talk with Jack, leader of the Jewels. We agreed to determine who should be the top dog in town and put this fighting aside.” Manny talked, using his strict voice that he never uses on me. “And Jack wants to challenge me to a duel.” He said.

“No way!” I accidentally said out loud. Everyone turned to me while I blushed and looked down.

“¿Qué dijiste? (What did you say?)” Manny asked.

“I don’t want you to fight! Can’t you just talk it out?” I said. Some people laughed and rolled their eyes.

“‘Manito. I don't work like that. Sometimes violence IS the answer.” He said.

“But-” I tried saying.

“Enough! Let the grown ups talk.” He said.

Grownups?! That’s the problem. Manny is 22 and is out here fighting with high schoolers! Adults should be seen, not heard!

I slumped in my seat, angry that Manny is willing to put his life on the line just for some petty argument.

But deep down, I know it goes more than that. This is about respect and the want for us to be treated like any other American.

------

1,000-FUCKING-READS!!!! HOLY SHIT!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

double upload today! currently writing chapter 40 btw. so much happens in between!

bye! i love you all!

<3