7. Advice

Antonio’s POV

Antonio’s POV

“COMING THROUGH!” A Jewel said. He ran past us and knocked Pepe and I into the wall. He obviously did that on purpose just to go out of his way to bother us.

Even since on Friday when the Jewels won the race, things at Rochester High have been out of balance. Jewels would walk down the hallway and shove people. The school administration would do nothing because they think it’s harmless playing.

Still, my eyes never left a certain someone’s. 

Michael Lexington.

I could never stop myself from looking at the fine specimen of a man. And he too would look at me. I never noticed we had almost every class together. Which means I got to see him several times a day. It fed my desire and hunger for him.

If only Dina and that other person didn’t interrupt us. Then we would’ve kissed and discovered a new sensation of pleasure and affection. 

School ended and the guard followed me to Ms. Bella’s house. This time, I was joined by Rafa, Loko, Raul, and Yuli. 

“Vamos a ir a la casa de la Señora Bella (We're going to the home of Ms. Bella).” Rafa told the other two. Manny made it his mission to give me extra protection to ensure the Jewels don’t hurt me.

“Antonio. I heard about the race. How’s Manuel holding up?” Ms. Bella asked when she let me in her home.

“Not too good. He knows that Jewels cheated. I think he’s planning something to get revenge.” I said, recalling the conversation on Sunday night.

“Aye, ese nino!” Ms. Bella huffed. 

I spent a few minutes helping Ms. Bella to fix a broken door in her home. Why is it that there’s always something broken in her house?

“Something’s up with you. What’s got your tongue?” Ms. Bella asked. I set down my glass of water and stared at her.

“Nothing. Why do you ask?” I said.

“You just look like something is conflicting in your mind.” She said. “Who is she?” She asked. I choked on my saliva.

“She?” I asked. I dried my sweaty hands onto my jeans.

“Yes! You look like you’re in love. So who is she?” Ms. Bella asked. 

How do I tell her? How do I tell her that it’s not a she, it’s a he! And he’s a Jewel. A forbidden attraction!

I began to tear up at the thought of Manny getting angry at me for liking a Jewel. I imagined him abandoning me, rejecting me as family and ultimately ending our familial bond. 

“It’s not a she!” I sobbed. “It’s a he!” I said. I hid my face in my hands and sniffled. I heard the chair being moved and turned to see Ms. Bella sitting next to me. She rubbed my back and removed my glasses.

“It’s okay, Antonio. It’ll be okay.” She whispered and enveloped me into a hug.

“How can it be okay? I’m falling for a man. And he’s a Jewel. Mama and papa would be so disappointed in me!” I cried.

“No, they wouldn’t. I’m sure they would be proud of you for being brave to acknowledge your feelings. They would be proud to see their son, a bright smart young man, who is defying the words of everyone to follow in his dreams.” I sniffled and took her words seriously.

“But he’s a man.” I said.

“Yes, he is. But if you think your feelings are valid, I’m sure it doesn’t matter.” She pulled me to face her and I was met with her bright blue eyes. “Your love is what makes you human, Antonio. Don’t ever let anyone take it from you.” She said.

I hugged her tightly.

“Thank you, senora. You do so much for me. I don’t know how I can ever thank you.”

“You can thank me by going to college and showing everyone what your people can do! I know you can do it!” 

I know I can. Because everyone believes in me.

------

bye! i love you all!

<3