61. Traitor

Antonio's POV

Antonio's POV

"Are you fucking kidding me?! I'm not guarding that traitor! Have you lost your mind or are you going soft because of your brother?!" A voice angrily said from the living room. I stood behind the wall so no one saw me eavesdropping.

"Lower your fucking tone, Juan!" Manny angrily said back. "I know what he did was disgusting. Pero el es mi hermano! (But he is my brother!) My flesh and blood! So you'll do as I tell you and guard him the whole day!" Manny yelled back.

The silence in the living room was deafening. Besides Manny's angry ragged breaths.

"Still can't believe you're allowing him to live here." The other voice said.

"At least he has a family that still wants him home." Dolores clapped back silently.

"Dolores, mi amor, not right now. Go wake up Antonio, por favor." Manny said. I heard the sound of Dolores' shoes getting closer.

She turned the corner to the hallway and saw me standing there with a sympathetic look. She patted my head. "Todo va a estar bien. (Everything will be fine.)" She said. I wanted to believe her, but it's obviously not going to be fine.

"What were you guys talking about?" I asked. She put her hand on the small of my back and began walking me back to my room.

"Manny wants you followed from now on. Juan tried objecting cause, ya'know..." She said.

"Yeah. I got it." I said We reached my room and I grabbed my backpack from the foot of my bed. I saw the loose floorboard and remembered the ring Mike gave me was down there. At least that brought me a bit of relief.

"What about you? Do you think I'm a traitor?" I asked Dolores. She sat on my bed and patted the spot next to her. I sat next to her and she hugged me.

"No, I don't think so." She said.

"Why not?" I added.

"Because there are no traitors with love. When you betray someone, you willingly stab their back to hurt them. But you see, you can't control who you love. So therefore, your love isn't a betrayal because you never asked for it."

"You really think that?"

"Por supuesto. Manny is still struggling to understand all of this. He's angry, but you're his brother. You might need to give him a while until he fully understands." Dolores kissed my head and stood up. "Come on, you need to eat breakfast before you leave." She said.

I wiped away a few tears and followed her to the living room.

All talking stopped when I entered the room. I saw Juan, Manny, and Rafa standing around the coffee table. Rafa quickly bent down and gathered what I assume are the photos and hid them under a pillow.

"Buenos días." I awkwardly said to everyone.

"Antonio." Manny said, not looking into my eyes.

"¡Buenos días!" Rafa said. Juan, however, just grunted and looked away from me.