Chapter 149

ANITA POV

Lydia and I had stayed home for the most part to help Kennedy and the kids adjust. We alternated using her home office to work from home and the kids' study room to homeschool Kennedy. I did most of the educational work with her but Lydia came up with a lot of crafts and did independent reading and writing or workbook time with her when I had to retreat to the office to work. I had an unexpected break in my work schedule due to a last minute cancellation so I decided to stop downstairs and make a cup of tea. Halfway down the stairs I recognized Ken and Lydia were in the kitchen, today's craft must've been cooking of some sort. As I continued down I noticed the moment Ken seemed to have dropped a bowl of flour on the floor. Ken immediately became upset and looked up at Lydia.

"I'm sorry! It- it was an accident." She pleaded and put her head down. I started to go in but I figured none of this is going to work out if I swoop in every time, so I stayed back and watched silently.

Lydia didn't respond, she cocked an eyebrow at Ken and slowly scooped a cup of flour from the bag and dumped it on the floor. Then she sat down on the floor amidst the mess and tapped the ground for Ken to join her.

"You're not mad at me?" Ken asked her, her voice still cracking.

"It was an accident right?" Lydia spoke softly.

"Yes.."

"Accidents happen. Plus, making a mess in the kitchen is a part of cooking. Even professional chefs make messes."

"Really?"

"Mhmm." Lydia took a handful of flour from the floor and dropped it on Ken's head. Ken giggled and did it back to her, Lydia purposely crouched down towards her so her little arm could reach above her head. They both giggled for a second before Lydia spoke again, "But the most important part of cooking, is cleaning up whatever messes you make."

"Okay."

"So, we both made this mess. So we're gonna work together to clean it up, then we can measure our flour again and finish cooking alright?"

"Okay." Ken nodded.

Lydia helped her stand up, "and after that, we both will need a shower."

As they started cleaning up the mess I made my entrance, "How's it going down here?"

"We made a bit of mess, but we're cleaning it up now." Ken told me.

"Thats great, do you guys need some help?"

"No." Ken shook her head.

"We're just about done." Lydia looked up.

"I see that. What are you guys making?"

"Pizza! Homemade, even making our own crust!" Ken said excitedly.

"Ohh that sounds great! I hope I get a chance to try it." I replied, "Well, I guess I should leave you two to it."

"What kind of tea do you want?" Lydia wiped the flour off her hands.

"What?"

She grabbed the tea kettle and started to fill it with water, "you can't hear us from the office, so the only reason you'd come down here in the middle of work hours is for tea."

I bit my lip and blushed a bit, "peppermint."

"Right.. peppermint is good for focus right?" She remembered.

"You're learning." One of her many positive qualities, she was pretty intuitive and she also pays a lot of attention- to things that you do, and things you say. You'd never have that feeling like she's not listening, she always is.