Chapter 153

ANITA POV

I kissed Lydia's forehead as the doctor placed the gel on her stomach. In her excitement, she'd taken a pregnancy test the previous day that turned out to be positive which actually did not help or hinder her mix of excitement or fear. The doctor gave a general disclaimer that most times parents aren't able to see the baby this early on because it's hard to tell what they should be looking for. Lydia held my hand as the doctor held the instrument against her belly. My heart dropped as I looked at the screen, there was nothing there. My mind immediately flashed to years ago when I was staring at an ultrasound of my own uterus, the day I lost my first baby. The pain of the memory choked me but I refused to let it show because Lydia still didn't know, and now was not the time. The doctor continued to search for a few moments, clearly just stalling before having to break the news. I took it as my moment to collect my thoughts because I knew, that as gutted as I was.. this was going to be harder on Lydia.

Finally the doctor gave in with a sigh, "unfortunately the IVF was unsuccessful."

Lydia's hand left mine and she pulled her shirt down as she sat up without speaking.

"Ms Colvin, we still have time to discuss your options for next steps." The doctor attempted but Lydia stood and made her way for the door.

I realized stopping her would be a futile attempt so I turned to the doctor, "Thank you for your time, I think we both just need some time to process it before being ready to discuss it further. If you could email me the information that would be great."

"I understand." She nodded.

I quickly left, grabbing our jackets and purses on my way out of the door in an effort to catch up to Lydia. She'd reached the elevator and the doors closed on my face as I got to her. I impatiently waited for the next one and finally caught up to Lydia at the car. She was attacking the driver side door of the car. I reached the car and first threw our things into the backseat before going to the other side of the car to deal with Lydia.

"Babe." As I approached her, she slowed her motions and her forearms pathetically thudded against the window. I pulled her into a hug, "I know it hurts, and it is frustrating."

She shook her head and attempted to pull away, letting me know that encouraging words werent what she needed in the moment. I knew despite her current mindset the last thing she really wanted is to make a spectacle of herself in the hospital parking lot so I didn't allow her to pull away, instead I picked her up and carried her to the passenger side. I usually make it a point not to assert just how much stronger physically I am but this was different. I sat her in the passenger seat and closed the door. By the time I got into the car she had fastened her seatbelt but was staring glumly out of the window.

"Let's go home." I said softly as I touched her thigh.

"No. Take me to the office." She said dryly, then she added "please" because the statement must've come out harsher than she intended.

We sat in silence for the rest of the ride. Once I parked she all but darted out of the car and into the building. I exhaled and grabbed our stuff from the backseat and went in to follow her. The security guards greeted me at the door, by now they knew me by name and appearance so I didn't need the formalities of using ID and signing myself in or anything when I came now. The express security helped me to catch the same elevator as Lydia this time. I stepped inside as the doors shut. We both stared straight ahead as it went up.

"I wish you'd stop running from me." I said without opening my mouth fully.

The doors opened and to my dismay, she stormed out and straight into Nic's office. I exited the elevator slow and defeated. Nic looked in the direction of her office door as Lydia shut it, then she gave me a rather authentic sympathetic look. She told Rachel to unlock Lydia's office before she walked to me. She came over and grabbed the stuff from my hands as I followed her into Lydia's office. Once she shut the door and dropped the stuff onto the table she turned to me, in that moment I broke down.