Chapter 151

LYDIA POV

Weeks had gone by of me working from home in the afternoons and teaching Ken more forms of art or cooking recipes. Anita was able to justify keeping Ken longer without searching actively for a placement on the grounds that the police were still investing and searching for the family that abused her. As her superficial wounds began healing more with time it was advised for Anita to put her in actual school. Ken's ability to describe the family and sort of remember their names had helped the detectives track them down but they were still searching for the father's associates who had taken part in the abuse.

Anita had entered into the next phase of her fertility treatments and the doctor had warned that this phase would likely have the largest effect on her hormones so we were to expect a lot of emotional responses, changes in mood and mood swings from her. So far, that hasn't been the case. I had started the next phase of my treatments shortly after her and I was not to expect any big changes except some possible physical side effects. Nonetheless, Nic made sure to drop off ample snacks and homemade desserts a few times a week.

Two more weeks had passed before I noticed the first of the physical changes the doctor had warned me about. I'd been getting dressed for Honey's wedding when the dress I had picked out weeks ago suddenly didn't fit.

"Why don't you try on one of my dresses?" Anita suggested after a failed attempt to help me zip the dress.

"I'm just going to make it a little bigger, shouldn't take long." I looked at my reflection in the mirror, "Actually, I think some of Nic's maternity clothes might be in the upstairs closet."

She insisted on going to check for me so that I could put on my makeup in the meantime. She returned as I applied my mascara with a handful of options which she laid on the bed. We went through each dress until we agreed on a sparkling black gown which most closely resembled the gown I originally planned to wear. It nearly fit perfectly and I managed to convince her that I'd have enough time to take it in a bit so it could fit despite her insisting it wasn't necessary.

"I hate that you can't attend these weddings." I groaned as I slipped the dress back on, "That was the only reason I was looking forward to this part of the project."

"I know babe, I'll be here when you get back though- and you can tell me all about it. And you will have Margo there so you're not completely alone." She rested her chin on my shoulder as we stared into the full body mirror. Her hands patted my hips as she took a step back and stood up straight, "you look amazing babe, I can't wait to see pictures of all the final products."

"I should go, Honey will probably be calling me endlessly again soon." I cleared my throat.

"Yes, I can't wait until Honey is not calling or texting you at all hours of the day." She dusted off my dress one last time. "Now, go have fun. Please don't drink- at least not too much. And call me if you need anything."

"Okay mom " I joked.

"I know I know."

"There's a champagne toast at the reception, so just a sip. Otherwise nothing for me tonight."

"I don't mean to come off as though I'm policing you or anything." She apologized.

"Its nothing babe- it worries you so I won't do it. Plus its good practice for when I get pregnant anyways. Might as well work on kicking the habit now."

"You're sweet. Now go, I'll clean this all up don't worry." She rushed me out the bedroom door, closing it behind me. I made it halfway down the stairs before realizing I'd left my phone on the vanity. I let out a puff of air before turning around and heading back to the room. I opened the door to find Anita crying as she readjusted a dress on a hanger.