Chapter 39

Nicki POV

"Hi, Alexandria right?" I asked as a woman who resembled Aaliyah held the door for me.

"Uh... Are you Onika?" she asked.

"Yes, nice to meet you." I extended my hand to shake hers.

She shook my hand. "I'm super excited about this position. I'm a huge fan of yours."

"Well, on behalf of the business, we are more than glad to accept you." I stated as we sat at our designated table.

"I know I'm not as well qualified as most people but I promise I will work just as hard." she sat up straight.

"I read that you just recently received your degree." I sipped the water the waiter had placed before me.

"Yes."

"I actually prefer to hire recent graduates, believe it or not." I assured.

"Really?"

"Yes, it just keeps the essence of the business fresh and fun."

We continued talking about her position and the ins and outs of the business until our food came.

Alright Nicki you can do this.

"Where are you from?" I cleared my throat.

"Oh.. Um.." she twirled her hair in her fingers, "Manhattan."

I scrunched my nose, "Really? I expected you to say Canada."

"I mean.. I lived in Canada for a while.. But that was years ago." she smiled.

"Oh.. Like 5 or 6?" I said unconsciously.

"Uh.. Yeah about that long.. How'd you?" she looked at me weird.

"So um.. Manhattan huh? So are you moving to Queens for this position or will you be traveling each day?" I said changing the subject.

"Oh um. I hadn't really thought of that."

"Well hey, if you need help finding a place around here I can surely be of assistance." I offered.

"Thanks Id appreciate that."

"So... Are you leaving any family behind?" I hinted.

"No not really. Just my pets." she replied.

"No family? You really come off as a family oriented woman." I lied.

"Eh.. Its complicated."

I sighed, "thats life. Just super complicated."

By the time we finished eating I had dropped ample hints, she only nearly caught me once or twice.

We drove in my car over to the office, as we got close I pulled over and looked at her.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked.

"There is something that I need to tell you." I took a deep breath.

"Did I not get the job?"

"Oh no. You got the job, its just... I dont know how much you'll still want it after I tell you this."

"What could possibly make me give up a chance of a lifetime?"

"Well... Lets just say when we walk in, you will see 2 people you know rather well." I bit my lip, unable to gather my words.

"Umm.. How would-?" She shook her head in confusion, "Who are they? I dont understand why they would hinder my career."

"What if I told you they were your ex and your daughter?"