Chapter 138

NICKI POV

After the birthday dinner Aubrey drew me a bath once we were home.

"Dinner wasn't as bad as I expected it to be." I said as I stripped in front of him. "Also you really didn't need to cancel plans.. but I'm glad we went."

"How'd you pull that off? They are trained to handle extensive criminals but couldn't crack you." He asked.

I stepped into the bath, "I took a couple of psych courses in school, so I just played with all of the body language and voice cues they would look for in a liar. While also, not lying." I laid all the way down in the bath, dipping all but my face into the water, "Why, do you also think I'm a psychopath or something?"

"No." He shook his head.

"Get in." I reached my arm to him. He got undressed and joined me. "Why am I charmed by you?"

"I didn't realize you were." He kissed my jawline. "Does that mean you stopped feeling off, or however you described it?"

"Working on it."

"How can I help?"

"Stay perfect." I smiled at him, "and it helps when I can be close to you, and its just the two of us. Or when we spend time together with the kids, that helps. Nothing special."

I felt his arm around my waist as he planted another kiss on my cheek, "Can you tell me whats wrong? Or how or why you feel it or something?"

"Its okay. I'm gonna fix it, I'm gonna get better." I assured him.

"Nic, you're not in this alone. I want you to tell me this stuff." He insisted.

"I know.." I sighed, "I'm sorry- you're right."

"You don't have to apologize, just tell me."

"Its nothing you did or anything if thats what you're wondering." I took a deep breath, "Everything that happened with Kathandra and then Logan... it was a lot, it still is. And I think that I let all of that consume me so much- so even though I know you've been here with me... I've been so lost and consumed by everything, that I haven't been here with you. If that makes sense. I was so scared and so frustrated with myself and with the situation.. I pushed you away without even knowing it, all of you. And I have to work on fixing that."

As he went to respond I felt a random pain in my head, and my heart felt heavy for a second.

"Wait," I stopped him, trying to get myself together again.

"Whats wrong?" He sat up.

"I-I need my phone." I felt the feeling come back, "I have to check on Lydia.. something's not right."

"Right now?" He asked, "isn't she with Anita or something?"

"I'm just going to call her, or contact Anita.. but there's something wrong." I said as he helped me out of the tub. He grabbed us both towels and I dried my hands before dialing Lydia. I called Lydia twice and texted her with no reply.

"Maybe she's fucking Anita, it is her birthday afterall." Aubrey shrugged.

"No." I shook my head, "I'm calling Anita- I need to be sure."

"I think you're overreacting a little bit Nic." He sat on the bed as I called Anita.

"Hello?" Anita answered.

"Hey, sorry did I interrupt?"

"Interrupt what?" Her speech was shorter and she seemed off.

"I- I tried contacting Lydia but she didn't answer, I wasn't sure if you two were-"