Chapter 128

NICKI POV

The next morning I woke up early and was on my way to the office before 5. I didn't have any meetings or anything, but I figured it would be nice to get there early. When I was about a block away, I got a text from Vanessa: Hey, I can't make it in today.. on my way to the hospital. My water just broke... might be having the babies today!!

I pulled over to text her back: Ahhh!! So exciting! Do you need anything? I can stop by.. now or later, or both.

V: No.. but I'd love to have you here for emotional support please! As a friend, and as someone who went through this recently.

O: Say no more.. I'll be there in a bit.

V: thx sm!

I put my phone away and made a quick U-turn to drive to the hospital. I ended up getting inside right as she was heading to her room. Once she was settled and the doctors had finished the initial checks on her, I sat in a chair next to her mom by her bed.

"Hi, I don't think we've met.. I'm Onika." I offered her a handshake.

"Are you the bitchy boss or the nice one?" She squinted at me disapprovingly.

"Mom-"

"Probably the bitchy one." I accepted with a shrug and a smile.

"Nicki is my friend mom!" Vanessa exhaled.

"Well which is it?" Her mom asked.

"She was only mean while I was interning.. I told you that. Now, she's like my best friend."

I smiled a bit at the fact that she thought of me as like a best friend.

"Are you the overprotective and invasive one then?"

"I have never used either of those words-"

"You didn't have to hun." Her mom shushed her.

"Definitely overprotective about everyone I care about.. and I'm sure that can seem a little invasive to some. So I'll take that one too." I nodded. "I'm intrigued to know what stories you've been told though, you seem to have a very interesting perception of me."

"She was a little jealous that I stayed with you for a while, and that you crashed at my apartment and vise versa." Vanessa rolled her eyes.

"I just think you crossed the professional boundary." Her mom argued.

"And that is completely valid. But our floor is quite close, and your daughter fits right in. We trust her, we like her, and I would protect her with my life." I told her, "I've also told her many times, she needn't worry about a thing.. if she ever needs anything, EVER, all she has to do is ask."

"What's the clause?"

"There isn't a clause mom."

"There's always a clause."

"You're right." I agreed, "the clause is, she has to ask me directly.." i winked.

"Mom, stand down okay? I don't want to scare her away before I get a chance to actually ask something of her." Vanessa groaned.

"Hopefully its a house, because you can't raise two kids in that apartment of yours." Her mom mumbled.

"No, its not a house." She shook her head.

"If you did want a house, I would have to instate a clause on that." I pointed out.

"Nicki, I wanted to ask you to be the godmother of my kids." She reached her hand towards me.