Chapter 110

Nicki POV

Lydia brought lunch for the three of us that day, she didn't ask about Vanessa's predicament and I didn't tell her. I figured if Vanessa wanted her to know, she'd tell her on her own time.

"Hun did you eat anything today?" Lydia asked Vanessa as she sat up on the couch.

"No." Vanessa shook her head.

"I figured that. I wasn't sure how much of an appetite you had, so I just got you a salad and some soup. If you want to have one now and save the other for later, you can.. but try to eat something." Lydia instructed as she took Vanessa's salad and soup out of the bag.

"Did Nic tell you?" Vanessa asked, wiping her tears that had fallen while she was asleep.

"No." I stated.

"She told me you weren't feeling well, so you were resting in her office for the day." Lydia detailed.

"Oh Im sorry.. I -"

"You don't have to tell me anything. But since I do consider you a friend and I do care about you, I hope you know I'm here for you in whatever way possible. And that's something I can do without ever knowing the exact predicament." Lydia coaxed.

"Translation: she will force feed you three times a day, be your shoulder to cry on and she will fight anyone who treats you wrong." I reached into another bag and pulled out the two sandwiches inside and handed one to Lydia.

"Yeah Nic is more of a sleep, drink, have sex, or get coffee kind of support system." Lydia teased.

"Works like a charm." I shrugged and took a bite of my sandwich. We kept the conversation slightly light hearted to cheer Vanessa up. By the end of the day, Vanessa decided to stay at my house for a few days. Aubrey and I drove her there and helped her get settled before heading to dinner.

"So, what happened with Vanessa exactly?" Aubrey asked.

"She just needs our support right now," I shrugged.

"Okay but what are we supporting?"

"It took a lot for her to tell me okay? She trusted me enough to tell me, so I have to respect the fact that you and Lydia will have to wait to find out when she is ready for you guys to know." I explained.

He nodded and ate some of his food, "She's lucky to have a friend like you."

"You think?" I asked.

"You care about her a lot." he stated.

"I care about all of you a lot." I agreed.

"None of us ever want to lose you." he told me.

"I know babe."

"You helping Vanessa isn't going to put you in any potential danger right?" he questioned.

"No, why?"

"Because I know you like to protect everyone at all costs even if it means risking your life." He pointed out, "And I want to remind you, that no one's life will be better off without you. You have a very special thing about you that makes life better for everyone around you."

"My childhood says otherwise." I rolled my eyes, as the waiter came to give us the check.

"Are you seriously going to let that define the rest of your life?" he asked me.

"Its not a decision Aubrey." I said through my teeth.

"Make it one." he said sternly as we left the money on the table.

"It's not that easy." I felt my eyes tear up.

"Why isn't it?" he raised his eyebrows at me.

"I don't want to talk about this." I grabbed my purse and stood.