Chapter 156

Nicki POV

Surprisingly we didn't need any special tactics when Rory and I told Aubrey about her college plans, and the strings Anita's mom had pulled regarding our identity. He just verified that Rory was really happy with all of this. He admitted that he wasnt exactly happy with not being in the loop at all with something that big but he was immensely proud and happy for her. That night he kept thanking me, as if I had anything to do with it. He cuddled me in bed and told me I was the best thing that ever happened to them. The next day he was in planning mode, he interrogated Rory for details about her plans so he could figure out how to help and what needed to be done. For once with her he was a proud father, but it was all so overwhelming at the same time.

I steered clear of Anita after our lunch. We weren't on bad terms but I knew something about me or my presence or something- it made her uncomfortable and that's the last thing I wanted. I altered my morning routine so that I was either showering or getting the triplets ready for their day when she arrived. I still made her coffee for the road and instead Rory usually met her in the kitchen. After school, when I wasn't still at work I'd make sure I was deeply engrossed in conversations with the kids. When she came by the office, usually I had a heads up from Lydia so I stayed in my office until Lydia's door closed them in. The few times she dropped in for surprise visits I either feigned important conversations with Margo, Rachel or Vanessa or I retreated to my office. Lydia wasn't a fan of this arrangement, she told me it was unnecessary but she didn't press the issue.

A few weeks had passed, Lydia had her second attempt with the IVF and her appointment to find out if it was successful was the next day. I set her up with meetings and job interviews this past week so at least while she was working she would have less time to start overthinking and stressing about the possible pregnancy but at the same time keeping her schedule light enough so that she wasn't exhausted or stressed from work. Anita visited her for lunch each day as well.

I ate my lunch alone in my office facing my window for the sunlight as I worked on a sketch. I heard someone enter the room from behind me but they didn't say anything. Lydia. I got up and turned to face her. Wrong.

Anita stood leaning with her back against the door staring at me.

"Hi.." I said nervously, "I thought you were Lydia."

"I figured." She replied. She knew Lydia was the only person who would enter my office without even a courtesy knock. The only one allowed to.

"Is she..you.. is everything okay?" I stumbled over my words.

She scanned my body, my face, my eyes, then she just nodded slightly. "We need to talk, and you need to stop avoiding me."

"I was giving you space."

"I didn't ask for it." She shot back.

"You didn't have to."

"Nic come on, this is ridiculous. We're friends- we're family. I've shared the most intimate parts of my life with you before I had even shared them with Lydia.. hell- half of my friends and family don't even know those things about me." She looked at me and took a few steps towards me.

I took a deep breath and motioned for us to sit on the couch. She sat next to me and pulled my hands into her lap.

She caressed my fingers in her hands as she spoke, "At first I couldn't figure out why I was so bothered that you stopped talking to me. I thought it was because I was worried it would effect me and Lydia.. but it's not that." She mostly thought aloud so I didnt interrupt, "I realized I actually just value your friendship. You're honest and sweet and loyal and funny and supportive. I dont know what exactly I did or said to make you feel like I felt otherwise because I don't."