Chapter 39-Work

"So, are we all good?" You asked Freddy. He nodded slowly, a bright smile endearing his face. Bon Bon sat patiently next to the bear as you tinkered with his chest cavity. You worked slowly and cautiously, though, knowing the true function of the chamber. It was somewhat relieving to know the stomach hatch was usually filled with party supplies during birthday parties as a development. However, a small part of you couldn't help but worry.
"You two have a good talk-it-out session?" Bon Bon asked, not bothering to look up from the ground.
"Yup!" Freddy replied. He looked at you afterwards, seeking some kind of affirmation, and you nodded.
"Yeah, I'm glad we talked things out." You confirmed.
"I hope I'm not being too intrusive here, but..." Bon Bon said again. "..what exactly is up with you two?? I know you're friends and all, but is there something I'm missing? That you're not telling me?" The rabbit huffed, turning his serious tone into a cute little pout and crossing his arms.
"No, i-it's--it's fine, Bon," you replied. "I can tell you if you want, but I feel like things would be less awkward if Freddy explained later. If he wants to, that is." It was your turn to send the affirmation glare over to Fred, and it was his turn to nod in return.
Bon Bon looked between the two of you for a moment before sighing heavily. "Fine," he huffed. "Fine. Whatever."
"I'm almost done with your repairs, Fred." You reassured the bear. You only had a few more wires to sort out and he should be in top working order.
"Yayyyy..." Freddy drawled out, almost sleepily in a way.
"Uh-oh! Is someone tired??" Bon Bon teased Freddy.
"Wait, do you guys get tired? How does that usually even work?" You asked while tugging one of Freddy's wires to jolt him awake.
"We don't," Bon Bon shrugged. "Unless someone is too STUBBORN to charge after working hours!" He yelled back at Freddy. The bear stuck his tongue out at Bon Bon.
"Well, now you should have plenty of time to charge up and whatever else you want to do." You said. "You should be in perfect shape now."
"Hup!" Bon Bon hopped off the conveyor belt and beckoned to Freddy. "Ok! Let's go, big guy! Chop chop!" The bear groaned and hopped off the conveyor belt, a loud thud following the impact. He took a few steps forward as Bon Bon hopped along.
"Wait," Freddy paused. "Are you coming, Y/N?" Freddy tilted his head.
You scratched the back of your head. "I'm gonna go home, Fred...I gotta get some sleep in! It's a little past midnight and I gotta be up early for morning shift."
"Wait, you work day and night shifts?" Bon Bon perked up.
"Well, technically, no. I work dayshift. But I also dug a bit into engineering in college so I guess I qualify to work on ya'll. I don't plan on taking night shift every time, though. It's nice to have a little bit of extra pay, you know?"
"I only really understood the last bit but you've got my support," Bon Bon stated blandly.
"Well, then," Freddy interjected. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N. Thanks again for coming to talk." He came a bit closer and whispered to you, "And, um. If you don't mind, can we start over tomorrow?"
"Hey!" Bon Bon scolded.
"Nothing!" Freddy perked up and stepped away from you. "I didn't say anything." He winked.
"Y-Yeah..no problem...." You said, quickly turning before Freddy could see your face start to break into a worrying expression. You speed walked out the door and towards the elevator. Once you were inside, you stopped and processed everything that had happened during your visit. You talked to Freddy about boundaries. You made sure he knew you were uncomfortable with his previous behavior. And then you walked out without a single break in your composure.

Man, it was late. You couldn't wait to get back to your apartment, but maybe one quick stop at McDonald's could ease your growling stomach before you went to bed. You'd be tired in the morning either way, no matter how early you tried to go to bed. You pulled into the nearest McDonald's and looked for a place to park. You saw one other car parking, so you decided to go next to them. A woman was sitting in the front seat, checking her reflection it seemed like. You felt fairly safe in this position. At this time of night. So you got out, checking your surroundings one last time, locked the car, and went inside McDonald's.
Same old order every time, a (whatever y'all usually get and if you don't have an answer say a McDouble). You patiently waited by the counter for your order to come. To your surprise, there were a few other people in the store with you, one now being the woman you saw outside. You tried not to react as a man walked over and stood beside you. You expected him to walk right past you and pick up his order, but he just stood there.
"Are you new here?"
Finally, dialogue to break the silence. You turned to the man and didn't expect his eyes to be directly on you. Now that you could get a better visual, you realized he looked to be roughly in his 20s as well. He had brunette hair and dark eyes as well, with a few freckles around his face.
"Sorry?" You responded. You wanted to be sure this was you he was talking to.
"Are you new in town?" He asked again. "Sorry, it's just, I don't I've seen you before. It kind of bothered me, to be honest. I know almost everyone in the area."
Ok...kinda weird but ok...you thought anxiously to yourself. But you had to admit it wasn't among the most aggressive of all greetings given to you.
"Actually, I am! Sort of. I moved here a few months ago."
"Oh! Where do you live? NOT-not in a creepy way, like 'give me your address', more like the area?" Man, you could tell this guy wasn't having his best time trying to talk to you. You wondered if he was always like this talking to new people. You had to assume he wasn't, since he supposedly knows everyone in the town.
"I live in an apartment, kind of by Sunnyside."
"Ohh, I know that one. Nice place, not too shabby. If I may ask, why did you move here?"
"Seventeen," a woman set down a brown bag of food onto the counter in front of you two. The man stepped forward and grabbed it muttering a quick thank you.
"No, it's fine, but thank you. I moved because I wanted more opportunity to find a job. I had one back at my old home, but it didn't pay the bills quite well and I didn't like the people I worked with. Didn't go with my vibe if you know what I mean."
He tapped his chest solemnly. "Amen."
You hid a small giggle. Yeesh, was your sense of humor that...well...excepting isn't the best way to put that isn't it? But it shouldn't have been funny!!
"So, you found this said job? Or still looking? If that's the case, I could always offer something up for you." He said. Okay, this guy was being too nice. Something had to be up.
"Eighteen." The same woman handed over another brown bag.
"Thanks." You grabbed the bag and looked inside. (Your order), just how you wanted it. You turned back to the man. "That's really sweet of you, but I did already find a job."
"Oh! Where at? AHEM-UM-if-if that's ok? If I may ask?" Boy, this guy was stuttering a bit more than the average human being would in public. Okay, he's asking where you live and where you work. This can't NOT be a little creepy, can it? But...how would he know what time you clock in and out? Multiple workers come in every day and there are security checks around the entrances so it's not like the guy can sneak in without a party pass or invite. You know what......why not?
"Circus Baby's."
The man dropped his bag on the floor, then processed what he'd done and grabbed it again with shakier hands. He apologized repeatedly before peeking inside the bag. He looked back up at you, horror stricken in his face.
"Not the night shift, right?"
Your whole body tensed, your eyebrows lowering to a concerning expression. "...what do you mean?"
"I had the night shift. It is NOT the ideal job you'd want to have. Did you already start working your hours? What are your hours?"
"WHOA, man. Slow down. I literally JUST met you. I gave you the apartment place where I live, said where I work, and now you want to know my working hours?? How did I NOT find this creepy at first light?" There weren't any McDonald's workers within earshot.
"I know, I know! I'm sorry! I don't have much proof on me now, but I worked with those monsters for one dreadful YEAR."
"Give me one sentence. One sentence to prove you've ACTUALLY worked with those 'monsters'." You huffed. The guy thought for a second, then a second more, then his eyes lit up.
"Hopefully Freddy hasn't been doing this during dayshift. But during night shift he'll lose quality of vision while everyone else enhances theirs. He gets frustrated opening doors and will throw Bon Bon at the door trying to open it."
You both stood there in silence.
It was both the funniest and craziest thing you'd ever heard.
"Wow. Okay. I'll ask him then, and when I get a confirmation, then I'll believe you, random stranger I just met."
"Oh, right! Where are my manners today? My name's Tyrone."
"...Tyrone?"
"Yeah, and just so we're further acquainted," he said, pulling out a piece of paper. He scribbled something onto it and when he handed it to you, it was just as you'd feared. "My number." He walked out the door with his bag. "Hey, take care! Freddy and Foxy are a real handful when they get along!" He closed the McDonald's door, leaving you in a mixture of emotions. You were creeped out, and very confused, yet somewhat amused.