The Rhodes Not Taken

Rachel quit Glee Club to fully commit to Cabaret, so her solo in Don't Stop Believin' was given to Quinn. Adalynn gagged at the sickly sweet way the head cheerleader looked at Finn as she sang.

God, does she always have to look at him like he's a puppy?

Shut up, Adalynn. You're just jealous.

I am not.

Yes, you are.

Shut up, me.

The younger Hummel's thoughts were interrupted as Quinn ran out of the room and the music stopped.

"Quinn, you okay?" asked Mr. Schue.

"I think she just had a bad breakfast burrito," said Finn.

"I'm gonna go check on her," Bailey whispered to Adalynn. "Mr. Schue, may I go to the bathroom?"

"Go ahead, Bailey," the teacher replied.

The blonde quickly left the choir room, her blonde curls bouncing as she jogged down the hall to the bathroom. She saw Quinn standing with her hands tightly gripping the sink, face pale from morning sickness.

"Are you okay, Q?" asked Bailey as she walked over to her friend.

"Yeah," Quinn mumbled.

"Lucy, don't lie to me," said the younger blonde. "Whatever it is that's going on, you can talk to me. I promise I won't tell anyone."

Just as Quinn was about to say something, Adalynn entered the bathroom.

"Get out," the cheerleader said through gritted teeth.

"I come in peace," said the brunette, holding her hands up in mock surrender. "My stupid feelings just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"You can trust Adalynn," said Bailey. "She won't tell anyone either."

"Tell anyone what?"

"You both better swear to secrecy," said Quinn, glaring at the freshmen. Her expression softened as they nodded. "I'm sorry... I don't mean to be a bitch. Hormones and everything." She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

Adalynn's jaw dropped as she exchanged a shocked look with Bailey.

"I can't believe Finn would be so irresponsible," said the youngest Pierce. "He always seemed like the kind of guy that would never let something like that happen."

"That's because he's not the father," Quinn mumbled, her cheeks tinting pink with shame. "Puck is."

"Okay, I didn't see that one coming," said Adalynn, causing Bailey to elbow her. "Ow! Okay, okay." The brunette sighed. "Quinn, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this."

"Me too," the older girl mumbled. "Please don't tell anyone. Especially Finn."

"I won't," said Bailey. "Promise."

"I won't say anything either," said Adalynn, giving Quinn a sympathetic smile.

****

Adalynn was sitting next to Rachel at a table across from Jacob Ben Israel, who asked to interview them for his blog.

"How does it feel to be underclassmen and get the lead in a school musical?" the boy asked.

"It's an honor," said Rachel.

"I'm technically just the understudy, but it's really exciting," said Adalynn.

"If there's anything I've learned in my 16 years on stage, it's that stars are rare," the older brunette continued. "When they're found, you have to let them shine."