Bash

Adalynn was pacing the length of the living room as she rehearsed her lines for her audition when her phone started ringing. She ignored it and continued to practice. It's not like it was anything important.

It rang a second time. She groaned and answered it.

"What do you want, Rachel?" she asked, annoyance in her voice.

Her heart stopped at the words that came out of the diva's mouth. Her phone slipped out of her hands and fell to the floor as tears filled her eyes.

There was no way she had just heard that. There had to have been some kind of mistake.

"Addie, are you okay?" Quinn frowned.

"K-K-Kurt...b-beat up...hospital..." Adalynn stuttered out, tears falling down her cheeks.

"What?" Tina gasped as the bowl she was holding fell out of her hands and shattered on the floor.

"We...we have to go. Like...like now."

"Hold on, I need to finish my half-cold coffee first," Julian said as he took a sip from his coffee cup.

"Julian, you're such a fucking idiot!" Adalynn snapped as she dragged him up from where he was sitting on the couch. "My brother is in the hospital! Your stupid coffee can wait!"

The whole apartment turned to chaos as everyone dropped everything and rushed to get their coats. Lucas took the twins so that they wouldn't have to worry about keeping an eye on them. Bailey was the first to be ready, so she ran out to get them a taxi.

Every worst case scenario played in Adalynn's head as they left the apartment. She had already had to deal with almost losing her dad, and the last thing she wanted was to lose her brother.

****

As soon as they got to the hospital, Rachel instantly stood up and went to wrap Adalynn in a hug.

"Is he okay?" Adalynn asked, her voice breaking. "Is he awake?"

"I don't know," Rachel said softly. "They won't tell me because I'm not family."

A door opened, and a doctor came out.

"Is he okay?" Blaine asked the doctor as Adalynn rushed up beside him.

"Is he dead?" Adalynn asked, her eyes filling with tears again.

"No, he's alive," the doctor said. "He has a hairline fracture above his right eye socket, some other cuts and bruising. He's alive and he will be okay."

"I want to see him," Adalynn cried as she tried to push past the doctor, only for Julian to grab her and hold her back.

"He's sleeping now from the morphine, but you can see him," the doctor said.

Adalynn pushed Julian away and ran in the direction the doctor pointed them in. She opened up the door to his hospital room, her heart breaking when she saw her brother looking lifeless on the cot.

"I'm gonna call Burt," Julian said as he took his phone out of his pocket and stepped outside.

"This isn't right," Adalynn shook her head as tears fell down her cheeks. "Why him? Why couldn't it have been me?"

"Shh, Addie, it's gonna be okay," Quinn said as she pulled her girlfriend into a hug and held her close, soothingly rubbing up and down her back.

"Hey, buddy," Sam said as he stood over Kurt. "I know you're on a lot of painkillers, but you can wake up anytime now."

"Don't be a fucking idiot, Trouty," Adalynn scoffed.

"Sam, just leave him be," Mercedes whispered.

"I just feel so responsible," Rachel mumbled. "We had this huge fight, and then I just left him all alone. I...I'm so, so sorry, Adalynn."

"It doesn't matter either way," Adalynn sniffled as she wiped the tears from her face. "I know my brother. If you'd have been with him, he would've done the same thing."

"I wanna kill whoever did this to him," said Sam.

"Don't say that, Sam," Bailey said gently. "You don't mean that."

"I just wish he could hear me," said Blaine. "So I could tell him I was here."

"Kurtie..." Adalynn walked up the the bed and sat down on the edge. She reached for his hand and took it. "Kurtie...if you can hear me...squeeze my hand. I'm holding yours right now. Kurt, please. Just squeeze my hand. Please."

"He knows we're here, Ada," Tina said softly. "He knows."

"Yeah, I'll tell you something," Adalynn sang, her voice barely audible as she fought back tears. "I think you'll understand. When I say that something, I wanna hold your hand. I wanna hold your hand. I wanna hold your hand."

"Oh please, say to me," Blaine sang as he took Kurt's other hand. "You'll let me be your man. And please, say to me you'll let me hold your hand. Now let me hold your hand. I wanna hold your hand."

"And when I touch you, I feel happy inside," Adalynn sang as she gently brushed some of Kurt's hair out of his face. "It's such a feeling that, my love, I can't hide. I can't hide, I can't hide."

"​​Yeah, you've got that something I think you'll understand," Blaine sang as he used his free hand to hold Adalynn's. "When I feel that something. I wanna hold your hand."

"I wanna hold your hand," Adalynn and Blaine sang together. "I wanna hold your hand. I wanna hold your hand."

****

They had been at the hospital all night. Even after the others went home, Quinn and Rachel stayed so they could be there for Adalynn.

She was curled up in a chair, struggling to keep her eyes open. She had to stay awake. It would be just her luck that something would happen if she fell asleep.

"Here," Rachel said as she handed the younger girl a paper cup filled with water. "You need to drink something."

Adalynn sat up and took the cup from Rachel. She took slow sips as she watched the clock hanging on the wall.

"You need to get some sleep, Addie," Quinn said as she rubbed Adalynn's back.

"I can't just leave him," Adalynn whispered as she looked over to where her brother was laying in the hospital bed. "That's what happened with my mom. We went home, and an hour later we got the call that she had died. I...I can't go through that again. I don't want to be all alone."

"He's not gonna die, Adalynn," Rachel said softly. "And you're never gonna be all alone. You have so many people who care about you."

"Everything's gonna be okay," Quinn said as she kissed Adalynn's temple.

"I don't want to see anymore tears from you, little me."

Adalynn's head whipped in Kurt's direction, her face flooding with relief when she saw him looking at her.

"Jesus Christ, don't ever scare me like that again," Adalynn sobbed as she stood up and went over to him, leaning down to give him a hug.

"It's okay, Adalynn," Kurt said as he held his sister close to him. "I'm gonna be okay."