Swan Song

"Give her some room."

"She needs space."

"Breathe, girl, breathe."

"Does anyone have anything she can eat?" Bailey asked, keeping a hand on Marley's back as she helped her walk over to the risers.

"I think I have some leftover Halloweeen candy in my locker."

"I may have a juice box."

"I'll get Marley's mom."

"This is bad," said Artie. "Never in the history of show choir competitions has anyone ever fainted."

Blaine tossed Adalynn a juice box, and she tossed it to Jori.

"Here, Marls," Jori said, handing her cousin the juice box.

"No, I'm okay," Marley shook her head.

"Drink the damn juice!" Kitty snapped.

"Marley, are you okay?" Julian asked as he rushed into the choir room with Finn. "What happened?"

"She hasn't been eating," said Jake. "She's been skipping lunch."

"Because you've been telling her to?" Santana asked, glaring at Kitty. "You trying to turn her into a damn rexy?"

"What. No," Kitty shook her head. "Why would I–"

"Because you're a crazy, evil bitch," Adalynn spat.

"Hey, Marley, are you alright?" Mr. Schue asked as he rushed into the choir room.

"The nurse is on her way, Mr. Schue," said Finn.

"Santana, Puck, Quinn, you stay here with Marley," Mr. Schue said as the three graduates nodded. "The rest of you, get back up there. Leaving the stage mid-competition, for any reason, is risking immediate disqualification."

"What?" Finn frowned, exchanging a look with Julian. "That's a rule?"

"Yeah, it's a rule," Sue said as she walked into the choir room. "One of the bylaws, actually. As all of you were spiraling into a self-created k-hole of crazy, the judges, by unanimous vote, have declared the Warblers victorious."

At that, Adalynn's face fell. They had lost. She felt a comforting hand on her back, and she didn't even have to look to know it was Quinn. She leaned her head onto her shoulder and bit her tongue to keep the tears from falling out of her eyes.

Quinn wrapped her arms around her and placed a chaste kiss to the top of her head. It was then that she noticed the cuts on Adalynn's arm, and her heart dropped.

Those were fresh.

Those were because of her.

"Hey, congratulations, Finn Hudson," Sue sarcastically said. "For the first time in its charmed, yet pitiful existence, the New Directions have lost sectionals. But here's the good news. Christmas came early for one Sue Sylvester."

****

Adalynn and Quinn sat in silence as they lay cuddled together on the couch. It was almost like the way it was before: Adalynn on top of Quinn with her head on her chest as the blonde gently rubbed her back, occasionally drawing a heart.

But it wasn't like it was before.

They weren't together anymore.

They lay in a comfortable silence, the only sound being that of their soft breathing and the beating of Quinn's heart in Adalynn's ear.

"How do you feel?" Quinn asked as she rubbed the younger girl's arm, drawing stars around her scars with her fingertip.

"I can't believe we lost," Adalynn numbly said. "Like, it doesn't feel real. We've never lost sectionals before. And now it's just... over?"