Home

"Ladies, what we have here is a grade-A dilemma," Sue said as Adalynn, Kurt, and Mercedes sat in her office. "Mercedes, your vocal cords have had more fantastic runs than a Kenyan track team, but that look simply will not do. At first I thought it was a subtle homage to yours truly, but now I fear it's some sort of ironic comment."

"Ms. Sylvester, I'm just not comfortable in those Cheerios skirts," Mercedes admitted. "They don't fit me right."

"Mercedes, you shouldn't feel embarrassed about your body," Kurt spoke up, putting a hand on her knee.

"Embarrassed? No, no. I'm worried about showing too much skin and causing a sex riot."

Mercedes and Kurt chuckled and wiggled their fingers together as Adalynn crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head.

"How do those two not have a show on Bravo?" Sue asked the younger Hummel.

"No idea," Adalynn shrugged.

"Here's the skinny. Splits! magazine, after much campaigning by one Sue Sylvester, has named me cheerleading coach of the last 2000 years," the cheer coach explained. "In seven days, reporter Tracy Pendergrass will arrive on campus and my new star singer will have lost 10 pounds and be in a gender-appropriate cheerleading uniform or she is off the team."

"What?" Adalynn gasped. "Coach Sylvester, that's insane."

"Ten pounds?" Kurt asked. "Are you serious?"

"You could stand to lose a few too, kiddo," Sue told the older Hummel. "You got hips like a pear. And you," she turned to Adalynn and smiled. "You're perfect. Don't change a thing."

"I have a fast metabolism," the younger girl mumbled, comfortingly rubbing her brother's back when she saw the look on his face.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put in a call to the Ohio secretary of state notifying them I will no longer be carrying photo ID. You know why? People should know who I am. Now get the hell out of my office."

The trio stood up and hurried out of Sue's office. Adalynn frowned when she saw how worried and disappointed Kurt and Mercedes looked.

"You can't listen to her," said Adalynn. "You're both perfect just the way you are."

"I know, little me," Kurt said, sending his sister a sad smile. "It just hurts when someone insults you like that."

"It's Sue," Mercedes scoffed. "It would be out of character if she didn't. But you're right. It does hurt. It makes you feel terrible."

"Just promise me you won't do anything stupid, okay?" Adalynn pleaded. "You're both beautiful."

"Don't worry about us, little Adalynn," the older girl said, putting a reassuring hand on the brunette's shoulder. "We'll be okay. Now get out of here. You're gonna be late to class. I'll see you at Cheerios practice."

Adalynn sighed and relaxed her shoulders, giving Mercedes and Kurt a quick hug goodbye before turning and heading in the direction of her 6th period class, a bad feeling growing in the pit of her stomach as she thought of the worst possible outcome for how this week would end.

****

Adalynn and Julian were looking over the snack table at the parent teacher conference that Burt had forced the kids to tag along to. As the younger girl examined the variety of cheese and crackers, she noticed Finn's mom, Carole, come into the room – and Kurt was a little too eager to introduce her to their dad.

"Oh my god," Julian gasped. "What is he doing?"

"I have no idea," Adalynn said, furrowing her brows. "I swear to god... Kurt Elizabeth Hummel!"