Audition

Bailey stared outside the window of the school bus as she sat quietly next to Brittany. Chewing on the inside of her cheek, she thought about how her summer had flown by so quickly and how she wished she could go back and relive it – and maybe change a few things along the way.

She wasn't exactly sure how it happened. It just did. Her sister said it would be fun. And it was. However, she didn't picture it ending the way it did.

You're overreacting. It's nothing to worry about. You're fine.

"Bailey. Bay. Bailey!"

"Huh? What?" the younger girl asked, being pulled from her thoughts and back to reality. She turned and looked up at her sister, who was staring at her with concerned blue eyes.

"Are you okay?" Brittany asked.

"Just first day jitters," Bailey lied, forcing a believable smile. "I'm fine, Brittsy."

The bus pulled up to the school and the students filed off. Hiding behind her sister, Bailey headed into the school, keeping her head low to avoid the eyes of the one person she couldn't bear to look at right now.

As she approached her locker – that was unfortunately on the bottom this year – she could feel that person's eyes on her. She just took a deep breath and calmly put her things away. She collected her textbooks for the first half of the day and closed her locker. She stood up and hoisted her bag up on her shoulders. Keeping her gaze lowered, Bailey made her way to her first period class, which she thankfully wouldn't have with them.

Bailey walked into the classroom, and her eyes immediately landed on Tina, who smiled and waved her over.

"I saved a seat for you," Tina said as she took her backpack off the chair beside her. "How was your summer?"

"Cruel," Bailey deadpanned.

"What happened?" the goth asked, furrowing her brows as her friend ran a hand through her blonde curls.

"I don't really want to talk about it. It was just the last few weeks that were..." Bailey shook her head. "Nevermind. It's not important. Anyway, how was your summer?"

"Mike and I made out at Asain Camp," Tina said, chuckling at Bailey's confused look. "It's a long story. But we're dating now."

"Oh... cool," the blonde said, nodding and forcing a small smile. "I'm happy for you."

It wasn't entirely a lie. She was happy for her, but she couldn't help feeling a little jealous. Not because she wanted Tina all to herself, but because she had someone who really cared about her. Someone who didn't use her and then ghost her the rest of the summer.

The teacher came in and class started. Bailey took a deep breath and pushed all thoughts of that person out of her head. She wasn't gonna let this define how her sophomore year goes.

****

"Miss Hummel!"

Adalynn closed her locker and quickly rushed off down the hallway, hoping to avoid being asked questions she wasn't comfortable answering for Jacob Ben Israel's report on Glee Club's big, gay summer.

"Miss Hummel," Jacob said again, shoving a microphone in the brunette's face. "How do you want to respond to the rumor you spent your summer locked up in your room because Quinn Fabray rejected you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Adalynn said, shoving past the Jewish boy to get inside the library.

"A little birdie told me that you're madly in love with Miss Fabray and she doesn't feel the same."