A Katy or a Gaga

a/n - for those who didn't see the author's note on the season 5a cast, i'm keeping finn alive because i'd miss him and adalynn's relationship too much, and this is fiction, which means i can basically do whatever i want. i'm also going to be skipping a lot because the first half of this season was kinda boring and so unnecessary

"Alright, big week guys," Mr. Schue announced as he walked into the choir room. "Come on, gather round. I have here in my hand... drum-roll please... a secret list of the show choirs that we will be in competition with at nationals in six weeks."

Six weeks.

Six weeks until nationals. Six weeks until the senior's Glee Club journey is over.

Adalynn wasn't ready for it to be over. As much as she hated school, part of her wasn't prepared to go out in the real world. It scared her. She had no idea what she was supposed to do with her life after graduation, and she had missed all the deadlines to apply for colleges.

She had no plans whatsoever, but at least she had Bailey and Tina. There was talk of them moving to New York together to be closer to Kurt, Rachel, and Santana, but nothing was set in stone yet.

"We've got the Rust Belters, the Thunder Show Cats from Gainesville, and finally, from Fort Wayne, Throat Explosion."

"Noooooo!" Tina cried. "Why God?!"

"That's it, it's over," Adalynn scoffed, crossing her arms and turning to bury her face in Jori's chest.

"We're fucked," Bailey groaned.

"If Bailey's cursing, you know it's bad," Jori said as she rubbed Adalynn's back.

"What?" Jake frowned. "Throat Explosion? That's a joke, right?"

"Anything but," Blaine scoffed. "They're the new super group the show choir underground's buzzing about. Their budgets for costume, make-up, hair alone, are astronomical. You guys have read that Malcolm Gladwell book Outliers, right? So, Gladwell says you can't possibly master anything unless you've spent 10,000 hours practicing it."

"Well, that explains why I'm still depressed," Adalynn shrugged. "Cause I haven't practiced happiness for 10,000 hours."

I blame Quinn.

I was only ever truly happy when she was around.

I miss her.

"Students can't even join Throat Explosion without proving they've logged in 10,000 hours of show choir rehearsal," said Bailey. "They don't even go to class. They just perform every minute of every day. They live their art. They know no boundaries. They're constantly pushing the envelope, living and performing on the edge. They're like mini Lady Gaga's."

"We're so screwed," Tina shook her head. "They're not like Vocal Adrenaline, who were Borg robots. They're total outsiders and misfits, which used to be our niche. We can't compete with Throat Explosion anymore at that level because we lost our biggest Gaga when Kurt graduated last year. Look around, we're a room full of, like, Katy Perrys now."

"I don't know," Adalynn shrugged. "I'm pretty sure I'm a Gaga. Following in Kurt's footsteps."

"You'd best check your spectrum, because orange is the new black, and Unique is the new Gaga," Unique said as Adalynn high-fived her.

"Not Marley. She's a Katy Perry," said Tina. "So is Sam, so is Blaine."

"I'm more of a Taylor Swift than a Katy Perry," Bailey shrugged as she texted Julian to check on the twins.