Vitamin D

"Competition," said Mr. Schue. "Every one of these people or elements was a champion in their own right, but they used competing with each other to make themselves even better."

"I don't understand how lighting is in competition with an above ground swimming pool," Kurt mumbled confusedly.

"Sharks and bears aren't even in the same habitat," Adalynn added, furrowing her brows.

"Hummels, just go with it," said the curly haired man. "You guys have become complacent. You were great at the invitational, but you gotta up your game if you wanna get through sectionals."

"It hurts that you doubt us," Julian said, placing a hand to his chest in mock offense. He turned to Bailey and winked. "Hey, cutie."

"In your dreams, freak," Santana scoffed, wrapping a protective arm around the younger Pierce sister.

"Okay, split up," said Mr. Schue, trying to get everyone back on track. "Guys on the left side, girls on the right side. Let's go. Come on."

Julian and Kurt exchanged a look, both cousins feeling more in touch with their feminine side, and went to join Adalynn on the girls side.

"Uh, Kurt. Julian." Mr. Schue nodded to the other side of the room. "Boys team."

"Sexist cunt," Julian grumbled as he and Kurt went over to the boys side.

"Here's the deal," the teacher began. "Two teams. Boys versus girls. One week from today, you will each perform a mash-up of your choice."

"What's a mash-up?" asked Puck.

"Fucking idiot," Adalynn coughed into her arm, getting a few weird looks from the people in the room. "Sorry. Allergies."

"Adalynn, language," Mr. Schue warned before turning to the mohawk boy. "A mash-up is when you take two songs and mash them together to make an even richer explosion of musical expression. Boys will perform on Tuesday. Girls the next day. I want you guys to go all out, okay? Costumes, choreography. Whoever wins the competition gets to choose the number that we do for sectionals."

"Wait," said Rachel, holding up her hand. "Who's gonna be the judge? Your gender makes you biased."

"Ah, there is going to be a celebrity judge."

Bailey and Santana exchanged a look, both trying not to laugh as they both knew the judge was going to be Ms. Pillsbury.

"W-who?" asked Tina.

"It's totally the guidance counselor," Adalynn mumbled.

"You're gonna have to show up to find out," said Mr. Schue.

"We got this in the bag," Mercedes said as the group of girls headed to the door.

"Totally," Rachel agreed. "I'm gonna start storyboarding our choreography tonight."

****

Adalynn was sitting crossed-legged on the floor in the dance studio as she french braided Bailey's hair. Tina and Mercedes were sitting in a corner doing each other's nails, Brittany was stretching at the bar, and Santana was standing in front of the mirror plucking her eyebrows.

"Where's the illiterate diva?" Adalynn asked as she tied off the braid in Bailey's hair and looked around the room. "She should totally be bossing us around right now. Wait..." the brunette looked around the room again. "Where's Quinn?"

"Okay, girls," Rachel said as she came into the room. "We need to get started."

"We're getting warmed up," Santana scoffed.