Ballad

a/n - start song when it says

"Ballad," Mr. Schue said as he wrote the word on the board. "From Middle English 'balade.' Who knows what this word means?"

"It's a male duck," Brittany said.

"Britt, no," Bailey sighed, gently patting her sister's back.

Adalynn raised her hand and Mr. Schue called on her.

"A ballad is a love song," the younger Hummel said. "But they don't always express love. They can express anger, fear, and happiness too."

"Very good," Mr. Schue praised. "Ballad's are stories set to music. Which is why they're the perfect form of self expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now sectionals are in a few weeks. And there's a new rule this year. We have to perform a ballad."

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off," Rachel beamed.

"Shut up, Berry" Julian grumbled.

"Okay, so here's our assignment for the week," the teacher continued. "I'm gonna pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it."

"I pick Quinn," Finn said as Adalynn crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

"No, no, no. Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate." Mr. Schue walked over to the piano where a black top hat was sitting. "I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner. And since Matt isn't here we'll have an even number."

"I bet the duck's in the hat," Brittany said as she turned to her sister, who chuckled.

One by one, everyone went up to the front of the room to draw a name. Puck got Mercedes, Artie got Quinn – much to Adaynn's disappointment. Finn got Kurt – which the older Hummel was a little too happy about. Julian got paired up with Rachel, and Adalynn sent her cousin a teasing look from across the room. Tina got paired up with Bailey, who's eyes it up with excitement. The goth sent her friend a smile as she sat back down. Santana got paired up with Brittany, who stood up and clapped ergerly.

Adalynn sighed, knowing that the only person left that didn't have a partner was Mike.

"Do I even need to walk up to the hat?" the brunette asked. "Cause I already know who I'm gonna get."

"It's all part of the fun, Adalynn," Mr. Schue said, motioning for her to come down.

The younger Hummel rolled her eyes as she walked to the front of the room and picked the only name left in the hat.

"Oh, what a surprise," Adalynn mumbled sarcastically. "Dancing Asian kid."

"Adalynn, be nice!" Kurt scolded from across the room.

"Whatever," the younger girl said with a roll of her eyes as she sat back down next to her brother, avoiding Mike's gaze.

"Would you mind clarifying what songs you want us to sing?" Artie asked.

"Why don't you let Julian and I demonstrate?" Rachel suggested.

"What?" Julian scoffed. "No way, psycho."

"Brad, Endless Love in B-flat, please," the diva said, ignoring the junior's protests as she walked to the front of the room. "It's my favorite duet."

Julian sighed as he got up from his seat and went to the front of the room. The least he could do was enlighten the sophomore and her crazy school-girl crush.