Wheels

"Alright guys," said Mr. Schue as he walked into the choir room. "We're doing a new number for sectionals. I know that pop songs have sort of been our signature pieces, but I did do a little research on past winners and it turns out that the judges like songs that are more accessible. Stuff they know. Uh, standards, Broadway."

"Defying Gravity?" Kurt asked, exchanging an excited look with Adalynn as they looked at the sheet music. "Ada and I have an iPod shuffle dedicated exclusively to selections from Wicked. This is amazing."

"Think you can handle it Rachel?" Mr. Schue asked.

"You've got to be kidding me," Adalynn grumbled, crossing her arms.

"It's my go-to shower song," said Rachel. "It's also my ringtone."

"Why do we have to go all vanilla on this song?" Mercedes asked. "See, what we need is my chocolate thunder."

"We don't have time to rearrange the song for you, Mercedes," said Mr. Schue. "Don't worry, we'll find something for you to dip in chocolate. On to item two. The school won't pay for the special bus we need to take Artie and his wheelchair with us to sectionals."

"What?" Tina asked.

"That's completely unfair," said Rachel.

"Oh, you mean like you being handed every solo in Glee Club?" Adalynn asked, side eyeing the girl next to her.

"Adalynn, drop it," Mr. Schue warned. "Rachel's singing it. Anyway, we're going to have to raise money to pay for the bus ourselves. See, when I was in Glee Club and we needed new silk cummerbunds for regionals, we held a bake sale."

"Wait, you're joking, right?" Santana asked. "I mean, bake sales are kind of bougie."

"So, hip people stopped eating delicious sugary treats?"

"It's not that," said Bailey. "It's most of us don't know how to bake."

"I find recipes confusing," Brittany mumbled.

"My family is committed to takeout," Rachel imputed.

"Yeah, Mr. Schue. Kids are busier than when you went here," said Finn. "We've got homework and football and teen pregnancy... lunch."

"Yeah, can't Artie's dad just take him?" Mercedes asked.

"I can't believe how insensitive you're all being," said Mr. Schue. "Aren't you a team?"

"Of course," said Quinn. "But Artie understands. Don't you, Artie?"

"Of course," said Artie. "It's cool. I mean, anything that takes away our time from rehearsing doesn't serve the team."

****

"I want to audition for the Wicked solo," Kurt said the next day in Glee Club.

"Me too," said Adalynn.

"Kurt, there's a high F in it," said Mr. Schue.

"That's well within my range," said the brunette boy.

"Mine too," said the younger girl.

"Well, I think Rachel's going to be fine for the female lead," said Mr. Schue. "But I'm happy to have you guys try out something else. We'll make sure that it's got a killer high note."

"You tried," Bailey mumbled sympathetically.

"Anyway, I wanted to say something to you guys," the teacher continued. "I was a little disappointed at how you were all so willing to take the bus together to sectionals and make Artie drive by himself with his dad. We're a team, guys. We're in this Glee Club together."