┏°⌜ 049: Bodyguard

Floch and you sat at the same table as yesterday for breakfast. Today you two had two slices of bread with jam, a banana and milk just like everyone. Actually, you noticed that you had two bananas, everyone else only one.

Somehow everything felt so different today.

For example Floch-
He was unusually calm and relaxed, normally he's always tired of everything and just complains about you. However, you didn't want to complain, so at least you can enjoy your breakfast and not get a headache from his constant annoying comments.

It's not just Floch who's acting weird today, it seems as if everyone is looking at you sometimes. Probably because they know you're supposed to be the Symbol of freedom, yet it made you feel like you had something on your face or something was wrong.
Sometimes they even waved or smiled at you, you tried to be polite and returned the gestures.

"So uh..."
As he peeled the banana open he began to speak in a calm voice
"Did you sleep well?"

You were speechless for a moment. Floch is trying to have a small talk with you? voluntarily?
"I... Yeah. And you?"
You looked at him skeptically

He simply blinked twice
"Yea."
Then he took a bite of his banana and stared at you with concentration, as if he were analyzing you closely.

That made you very nervous.
The atmosphere was uncomfortable and the silence made it worse. The perfect definition of an awkward silence.

Forster kept staring at you, it seemed like he was either waiting for you to say something or thinking about what to say next.

He suddenly started to clear his throat, this sound was louder than all the people in this room- at least it seemed so to you.

"What is your favorite colour."
It sounded more like a demand than a question.

You had to think for a second
"It's F/C, what is uh... what is your favorite one?"

"Red."
He answered quickly without hesitation

You didn't want another awkward silence so you tried to keep the conversation going
"Red, that's nice! Red like a Tomato or-"

"Like blood."
His answer was very dry

"... I actually wanted to say like your hair..."
His stare made you more and more nervous. He doesn't even try to have a proper conversation, like he's communicating with someone for the first time

"Mhm."
He took a sip of his milk, his expression dull and cold

"By the way-" But you had an idea how to keep the conversation going and maybe make him happy
"Speaking of your hair, I think this haircut you have is way better than the previous one. It really suits you."
You smiled.

He crossed his arms and his brows furrowed
"What was so bad about my old hairstyle?"

"Uhhhh nothing nothing-" That was a lie, but you didn't mean to upset him.
"I just mean that this hairstyle suits you better and makes you look more... uhm... manly?"

It honestly felt like a police interrogation because you have to be careful what you say.
Floch looked at you very skeptically.
"Mhm. Thanks I guess."
He finished his milk and so also finished his breakfast, he really eats fast.

There was silence again. You were still busy having breakfast and he was quietly watching the people in the room, at least he's letting you eat in peace unlike yesterday.

Even though it's almost impossible to have a proper conversation with him, you were kinda glad he tried. Either Eren made him do it or he's actually trying to get along with you better.